Just brought my 2nd Tdi

wehey

Not something i've tried so far, but I think a good spirit level and an angle gauge or else shims would be enough. Get the car level across the strut tops (not the bonnet) then get 90 degrees on the hub faces (assuming no slop in ball joints, bearings etc) for 0 camber then dial in the desired neg camber with either shims under the vertical spirit level and / or an angle gauge.

There are camber gauges but not really worth buying unless you are doing it often or experimenting on set ups. Edit found this cheapy one but the accuracy with it is likely no better than doing it with a spirit level: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAVE-GARAGE-COSTS-DIY-Magnetic-Vehicle-Wheel-Alignment-Camber-Caster-Gauge-/331612568166

Edited by Sausage

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Decat pipe is fitted but rattles a bit on the centre support. Bah......will have to look at it again some time.

Well the black Arosa shat one of its CV joints last week and so the Silver Arosa has been forced into service early.

All of the best wheels and tyres have been swapped over, along with the insurance and tax and she is officially my daily driver now.

All th best bits will eventually be swapped over, but for now here she is.

Drives really well and I especially like the standard suspension height ??

IMG_3679.JPG

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blue Loop said:

You should be banned for this.

Ha ha. 

Maybe i should clarify.......

I especially like the way the standard suspension rides. 

It looks pants, and I feel like a granny, but is like a riding on a  big soft fluffy cloud ☁️ 

Edited by wehey
  • Like 1

So the coolant temp sensor has been swapped out as the temperature needle was all over the place.

Brought one from Euro Crap Parts and surprise surprise it didn't fit. So I swapped out the one from the Black car.

Then I noticed it was only reaching 80-85 degrees on a thrash, the settled to 75 when taking it easy.

I suspected the thermostat which was confirmed on my first fill up and only 50mpg, where I was getting 55-60mpg in the black car.

So back to Euro Crap Parts for a thermostat, which of course didn't fit. So swapsies off the Black car again.

I brought one of these swivel bits from Halfrauds which made the job a ton easier ? Not having to remove the alternator belt.

So the Black car seems to have become a parts donor car now

IMG_1686.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

Normal service has been resumed. 

Just filled the tank up after fitting the new temp sensor and thermostat. 

58 mpg which is pretty damn good for this time of year and I expect upto 65 mpg once the weather warms up ?

Just a diesel purge left to do and MOT tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, wehey said:

Normal service has been resumed.

Just filled the tank up after fitting the new temp sensor and thermostat.

58 mpg which is pretty damn good for this time of year and I expect upto 65 mpg once the weather warms up ?

Just a diesel purge left to do and MOT tomorrow.

I'm very interested to know how TDI owners get 58-65 mpg, I've never got know near that. I manage between 38-45 mpg. The car is well serviced, i don't drive like a loon, so how come?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 666DUB said:

I'm very interested to know how TDI owners get 58-65 mpg, I've never got know near that. I manage between 38-45 mpg. The car is well serviced, i don't drive like a loon, so how come?

you're not coasting enough.

32 minutes ago, 666DUB said:

Driving like a loon I still get mid 50's. The lowest I have ever had was 52mpg. 

Both of my Tdi's return about the same, so yours must be ****ed in some way. Things like thermostat, maf, boost leaks etc will have an effect.

My average over 10K miles is 58mpg

IMG_3704.PNG

My TDI is mapped by Awesome , but that doesn't mean less mpg ,does it? in fact in some cases you can get more, so I've heard. Also i have 17" alloys on mine too.

But still the same rolling radius ( or not far of as my 14" alloys ) would they make such a big difference. Like i say engine wise its driving brilliantly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 666DUB said:

My TDI is mapped by Awesome , but that doesn't mean less mpg ,does it? in fact in some cases you can get more, so I've heard. Also i have 17" alloys on mine too.

But still the same rolling radius ( or not far of as my 14" alloys ) would they make such a big difference. Like i say engine wise its driving brilliantly.

Mines mapped to approx 110hp with better mpg than the stock map.

Something is a bit wrong with yours I thinks