Lupo 1.0 heater struggles to blow hot air

Sandyloveskebab

hi there

on the hunt for some solutions. My lupo heater is really struggling to blow any hot air and with winter here its become more of an issue. I recently got a new fuse for the heater which sorted the problem of it only blowing on 4 so now its working on all settings. 

The only time i get any heat is if im only going slow so im assuming having less air coming in to the engine gives it more time to heat and this is the only time the temperature guage lifts off the bottom of the scale as well. but if i speed up over 15mph it quickly goes back to cold

as i said ive already changed the fuse and i topped up the coolant as well to see if that was the problem but it hasnt really helped. could it be an issue with my drivers side fuses or something about the air intake for the engine? the car came with no connection piece to the cold air intake (http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/103554-oil-breather-pipe-missing-what-do-i-need-to-do/#comment-1167942) would this be the cause of the problem? 

as allways all help is appreciated

Edited by Sandyloveskebab

If the temp gauge is not rising this may indicate the thermostat has failed open so the water is not able to get to temperature hence the heater does not deliver any warmth. Changing it is not a huge job & not expensive so its a good start. The temperature sensor could also be faulty & that could also explain the temp gauge not working.

59 minutes ago, christophertr6 said:

If the temp gauge is not rising this may indicate the thermostat has failed open so the water is not able to get to temperature hence the heater does not deliver any warmth. Changing it is not a huge job & not expensive so its a good start. The temperature sensor could also be faulty & that could also explain the temp gauge not working.

Thanks for that, hadnt thought to check the thermostat but i'll investigate again this weekend. I checked it there and it took about ten minutes for it to move about 1/10th off the bottom of the temperature scale and even then i couldnt really notice any difference in temperature of the air. I really dont know a lot about how the system works but would it be possible that theres air in my system and its struggling to get the coolant to reach the heater matrix and preventing the air from being heated? 

Possible but unlikely. It the stat is open then the water will be fully cooled by rad & fan etc all the time. The stat shuts water off from the rad and allows the engine to heat the water quickly - stat then opens only when water gets hot allowing cooling. Stat opens & closes to keep the temp steady (at about 87deg).

So if stat is open then you'd have to do some serious driving to get the water fully hot.