lupo buyers guide?

mk2

I'm sure I read a guide on here about three years ago. Is there one, or do you think it'd be an idea to write one?

I can write about what to check when buying an SDI to the nth detail!

Here's my thoughts for all you potential buyers out there:

Check the following very carefully as well as all the usual stuff like brakes, tyres, lights, interior etc etc

Gearbox
Pedal box
Door straps
Heater controls
Front wheel bearings
Roof channels
Electric windows
Central locking system
Rear wash wipe
Indicator/wiper stalk switches
Rear shocks and bump stops

both keys? radio code?

SDI specific:
not smokey (when hot)
smooth running (not knocky)
power when accelerating (should be strong with good torque)

Anyone on GTI, and the other models?

What have I missed?

TDI specific:

Gear synchros particularly 3rd gear.

Listen carefully for any scraping noise around the crank pulley area as that will likely be the balance shaft chain imminently converting your engine to the scrap when it fails.

Misfiring is usually the injector loom in the head breaking down but could be more significant like injector or worse.

• Like 1

GTI

Panels. They should be aluminium. If they are damaged, it could get quite expensive (the bonnet, doors and wings are aluminium)

Exhaust - if it needs replacing and you want a oem one. Factor in a 4 month wait and a cost including fitment of £650 (excluding CAT)

Gearbox, make sure this is ok

Non Gti

Pedal box. Make sure this is not broken.

2 hours ago, MattyB said:

Many a time we've tried to put together a Wiki page to collate the info, but getting it all transferred from the forum to the Wiki is a nightmare. Well...a long job anyway.

I think a Wiki would be great, or a set of several sub sections for details and How Tos.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to add- check the metal around the big rubber bush on the hinge point of the rear suspension beam- both sides. They can rust out requiring a complete replacement rear suspension beam or trailing arm (depending on what you call them).

True. My first loop had rust, on that badly designed spot welded seam over the rear arches. Just a little on each side which I scraped off and treated with a healthy dose of waxoyl... My 2nd had no trace at all though.

I thought that the sills were pumped full of wax in the factory to prevent rust.

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

I thought that the sills were pumped full of wax in the factory to prevent rust.

They probably were, none the less I looked at some absolute shockers before buying mine :o The worst one I viewed plates welded over the sills that had rusted through again, literally could have pushed my finger through at various points.

I'm fairly certain the sill based tin worm is born of incorrect jacking, paint is damaged, metal is exposed and the rest is history...

• 2 months later...
On 21 November 2016 at 6:35 PM, MattyB said:

Many a time we've tried to put together a Wiki page to collate the info, but getting it all transferred from the forum to the Wiki is a nightmare. Well...a long job anyway.

How would we start the wiki page (i'm guessing you mean on here and not wikipedia)? We'd need a framework setup that people could fill in bit by bit i suppose- by category, like mechanicals, bodywork, electrics- or by models...? Just thinking aloud here. Then at the end just some editing and clean up to make it readable without too much repetition (which is always a pain). Pics are often useful, like rust spots, pedal heights and panel fitting issues- that sort of thing???

If the page was setup initially for everyone to add to it, it'd get completed quite quickly me thinks. Once almost done (someone would have to decide when it's complete), a lot of the 'chaff' could be removed to make it an invaluable resource for potential new owners. It'd also help keep the standard of lupos/arosas for sale at a higher level as everyone would know what to look out for.

Oh, it's easy enough to setup using MediaWiki which can be hosted here and managed.

I've actually tried twice before, trying to copy the SELOC Wiki which I like the format of; I can't even remember why I canned it, in all honesty! Easy enough to get it installed again if needed?

Why don't we start it and see how it gets filled in... I have no idea how to create the framework. I can start adding my 2p's worth... Skezza, sausage and joeyeunos can add their knowledge too? And others too of course. I think we have an amazing combined knowledge base of members.

Will the framework be added to the site layout, like at the top of the home page there's <forum - calendar - staff - online users> or would some sort of extra menu be tagged on? I guess it'll be different to the main forum, but will probably need a forum topic to allow discussion, as once complete the buyers guide will be locked? Anyone?

Yeah, it'll be completely separate to the forum - however how it's linked is completely customisable; probably easier to have a link across the top.

Give me a couple of days, I'll do it the same time as I upgrade the forum software and drop a link here.

I've created the Wiki here - http://wiki.clublupo.co.uk
Discussions surrounding the Wiki, it's content and layout can be done here - http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/forum/91-wiki-discussion/

It's editable only via registered accounts, which must be requested (PM me if you need one and want to contribute - let me know what username and password you want).

Good start, we need to get the main page looking good.

Maybe that's where we can put categories? As a suggestion I think:

Buyers Guide

Engine
Bodywork
Electricals

or something there about should be our main categories. Also, we need to think about breaking into more specific details such as 1.0 specific info, and 1.4, 1.7, GTI etc.

5 hours ago, Skezza said:

Good start, we need to get the main page looking good.

Maybe that's where we can put categories? As a suggestion I think:

Buyers Guide

Engine
Bodywork
Electricals

or something there about should be our main categories. Also, we need to think about breaking into more specific details such as 1.0 specific info, and 1.4, 1.7, GTI etc.

I'll keep adding my 2p worth so it can edited later. I dont know how to create categories, but i think thats a good idea. If everyone who reads it adds just one single common fault, it'll build up quickly. Like you say, making it look good would be great.