How do i tap into the sidelights for DRLs

666DUB

I know a lot of you don't like after market DRLs , and i must admit some do look awful, but if done well i think they can look good. Anyway my question is how do i tap into the sidelight wiring as i want them to go off when i put my sidelights on.

Thanks.

Tony.

Edited by 666DUB

It depends on what sort of daytime running lights you go for... You need to lock out DRLs when the sidelights switch on or it'll fail the mot.

Basically with ignition on, DRLs connect to power, but get disconnected when the sidelights come on. So you need a normally connected relay. The relay contacts are closed when there is no power to the relay coil. The relay coil connects across the sidelight circuit. One side of the DRLs is ground, the other connects to one of the switched contacts on the relay. The other switched contact on the relay needs to go to a positive feed, which is 12v only when the ignition is on. That can be supplied direct from the ignition switch or somewhere in the engine bay loom (or is that what you're trying to find?!).

I have the relay supplied with the DRLs which connects to positive and negative so they come on when the car starts, but they stay on even when the lights are switched on, there is another wire coming off the relay which connects to the sidelights which makes the DRLs go off when lights are switched on, but how/where do i tap into the sidelights.

I'm guessing that the relay simply needs a positive feed when the sidelights are on. So just use one of wires feeding the little bulbs. Got any pics? Curious to see how good they look. :)

On 30/10/2016 at 9:14 AM, 666DUB said:

I have the relay supplied with the DRLs which connects to positive and negative so they come on when the car starts, but they stay on even when the lights are switched on, there is another wire coming off the relay which connects to the sidelights which makes the DRLs go off when lights are switched on, but how/where do i tap into the sidelights.

sidelights are just the illumination circuit, same one that lights the dashboard or your radio, you looked at running a wire from the illumination circuit on the radio?

Ive seen some in the standard indicator panel, but I've also seen other people fit their indicators into the lower valence and then smooth over their indicator panels completely. I prefer the lower valence option, but each to their own