Front wheel rubbing

Hi!

Got this beautiful Lupo GTI for several year. I have fully restored it  as it's condition was quite awful when I got it. Changed lot's of parts to new ones and still having this problem that when front wheels are in full lock they are rubbing wheel sill.  First I thougt that wheels alingment were bad but checked it on a car geometrical stand and they were in correct position. Does any one got a clue what still could be wrong?  Perhaps front upper mount?  As those are parts which I havent still changed as there was no need..

Wheels are OEM with OEM size tyre: 195/50 R15

Please see pictures attached.

IMG_2182.JPG

IMG_2184.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

Plenty of people run 195 50 15 even on lowered cars without rubbing. if all the alignment and geometry is right then make sure the arch liners are fitted properly, there is probably a bit of adjustment if you loosen the screws, hold it in position and tighten again.

Mine rubbed on full lock with 50 profile tyres, I think the sidewall is just that bit too big for the arches, hence why from factory they run 45 profile tyres. Seeing as 205/45 R15 tyres are difficult to find, most people swap to a 195/45 r15 and they are fine, I have been running these for years with no problems at all and no rubbing, even lowered.

On 10/25/2016 at 10:14 AM, Sausage said:

Plenty of people run 195 50 15 even on lowered cars without rubbing. if all the alignment and geometry is right then make sure the arch liners are fitted properly, there is probably a bit of adjustment if you loosen the screws, hold it in position and tighten again.

Not quite so with the GTI, plents of people have said over the years that their 195/50/15 tyres rubbed, as Martin has pointed out above.

OP: your choices to fix this problem are 205/45/15 Toyo T1R's (OEM size) or whatever you fancy in 195/45/15...

• 1 year later...