Coilover issues

Dannyteee

Hi all 

just bought a set of cheap coilovers for the Arosa and I having a few issues with them, put the rears in and bottom it out and it hasn't lowered the car in the slightest, however this doesn't bother me to much as the fronts are much worse, swapped everything from the old shock to the new ones and when the coilovers are in and the car is on the ground the shock lifts the top cap up and hits the bonnet, I genuinely don't know what I have done wrong, don't know whether it's me being a complete idiot or the coils are ****? Most likely my fault, any help is appreciated 

Dan 

13 hours ago, Dannyteee said:

swapped everything from the old shock to the new ones and when the coilovers are in and the car is on the ground the shock lifts the top cap up and hits the bonnet

Are you certain it was everything? Including the rubber bush that sits on top of the strut / underneath the top mount?... I suspect not. 

On 13/10/2016 at 10:12 AM, cj1 said:

Are you certain it was everything? Including the rubber bush that sits on top of the strut / underneath the top mount?... I suspect not. 

I swapped it all over, turns out the rubber bush was broke so just bought a new one and everything is fine now

I'm not to sure about the rear tho, I've bottomed the coil out on the rear and it's still really high compared to the front, not to sure what I've done wrong there, might just take it to a garage cause I don't fancy messing with something I don't really know much about 

14 hours ago, Dannyteee said:

I swapped it all over, turns out the rubber bush was broke so just bought a new one and everything is fine now

I'm not to sure about the rear tho, I've bottomed the coil out on the rear and it's still really high compared to the front, not to sure what I've done wrong there, might just take it to a garage cause I don't fancy messing with something I don't really know much about 

Knew it would be something with the bush. Can you post pics of the spring / damper? Things like this are quite hard to identify without pictures (Apart from the front issue, that was obvious! :P )

2 hours ago, cj1 said:

Knew it would be something with the bush. Can you post pics of the spring / damper? Things like this are quite hard to identify without pictures (Apart from the front issue, that was obvious! :P )

Can do Ill get a few pics up as soon as I can, I'm working nights so don't see much day light unfortunately, I'll see what I can do 

Yes looks to be. In fact I'm actually thinking that spring is upside down. The wider opening should be at the bottom and the smaller one at the top either way, check that when you have them off. 

I really wouldn't expect that part of the spring to be so compressed though as essentially it's doing nothing if it sits like that. The bottom part of the spring on the picture is to give the spring a progressive effect, at the minute it can't do that because it's already compressed! Let us know how you get on. 

Edited by cj1

51 minutes ago, cj1 said:

Yes looks to be. In fact I'm actually thinking that spring is upside down. The wider opening should be at the bottom and the smaller one at the top either way, check that when you have them off. 

I really wouldn't expect that part of the spring to be so compressed though as essentially it's doing nothing if it sits like that. The bottom part of the spring on the picture is to give the spring a progressive effect, at the minute it can't do that because it's already compressed! Let us know how you get on. 

Cheers for the help dude, flipped the spring and all is well