SDI Water Pump

Okey cokey, changed over cambelt/tensioner, waterpump and aux belt last weekend, and all was well, until this middle of the week when there was a bit of a squeal when starting up. Hadn't seen any adverse signs until yesterday when I did more than my usual 10miles to work, and the temp gauge for the first time ever went past 90 degrees, and kept climbing.

So pulled over to see that system was over pressurising etc etc. Let it cool down for a bit, and tootled like a granny with heating on full blast the last couple of miles home. So long and short of it is that the new waterpump I put on is a dud, which is nice. The one that's currently on is a 'Circoli' which is what I got from the local, along with the Gates belt and tensioner, hadn't seen any bad reviews, but it's obviously a pile of crap.

Anyway, there's this one on eBay -and i've never had any trouble with QH pumps when used on Landrovers, just wondering if there's anything else that people would recommend?

First things first, hats off to you for DIYing the timing belt change, it's apparently a pig of a job on the SDI models.

I'm going to have to deal with this in the not too distant future and TBH I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'll be farming the job out to someone else at a cost of circa £250-300. Secondly, nice to see more North East based SDI folk, other than Rich's black one I've never actually seen another SDI in the 'metal', this proves there are others out there ;)

RE pumps, I was giving serious consideration to going OEM when the time comes for mine, although the plastic impeller puts me off slightly... Alternatively Carparts4less offer a 'KWP' branded pump, they seem to be well thought of and only cost slightly more than the Circoli item, might be worth a look?

Oh it's definitely a bit of a sod to do. Not exactly hard, just incredibly fiddly than it should be! Tippex for marking the timings and patience of a saint is all you need really, more to get that infernal bolt out to take the cambelt cover off, that and trying not to get covered taking the pump off. I just followed the instructions on Elsawin!

The first time I got somebody else to do it, second time and this last time I did it myself, wouldn't care but the gates cambelt had plenty of life left in it! If you get a decent garage, it shouldn't cost more than £200 really. It's just labour cost for time.

Oh and I think most have the plastic impeller, the QH I was looking at has it, as did the Circoli, and the OEM on before that from last time. It's a fairly standard part across Diesels of that era I believe. Anyhow i've managed to snag a new VW one off ebay for £20. Luckily you can squeeze the water pump off without taking the cambelt off again!

Edited by Hazy

I've used circoli pumps on various vdubs without any problems in the past. Maybe I just got lucky! How did it fail? Bearing? Impellor stuck? Would really be interested to know.

Don't know as of yet, don't want to take it off until it's sat in garage and new one has arrived so I can put it on. There's a squeal when the engine first turns over for ten seconds or so, and you can see coolant returning to the expansion tank, but after the squeal stops, the coolant just sits and doesn't circulate. So could be either bearing or impeller.

Will let you know when I swap it out!

sounds like impellor not spinning when pulley is spinning- but only once it's warmed up a bit. My guess is that either the pulley or the impellor is slipping on the shaft, as they're simply a push fit in manufacture... if the bearing had frozen you'd be hearing all sorts of horrid noises!