1.4 16V brake upgrade options?

Derv

I've done many brake upgrades in the past, and figured it would be simple enough on the Lupo. Only I've found that the calliper carriers are cast as part of the wheel bearing housing. I guess I need items from a different model, but which ones? Sport? GTI? Polo?

My laptop is broken so I can't look at ETKA at the moment, but I'm sure some of you know what to do, and what the tried and tested method is. I did a quick search, but didn't come up with much.

I'm not after anything too crazy, as the brakes need to fit under 14s really, unless I use 15s all year round. But I'm not one for just going for spectacularly massive brakes, and adding a load of unsprung rotational mass. Although having brakes that work well are definitely required.

Sport/gti/polo gti hubs all the same.

Straight swap over.

This allows 14" wheels, you could also upgrade further by doing g60 conversion which allows bigger discs. G60 only allows 15" wheels

Rear beam conversion is fairly simple as well. Straight swap, need to swap brakes lines and handbrake cables.

Could also add braided lines I guess.

Hope that helps

27 minutes ago, Sausage said:

If you want to stay with small wheels due to weight (i sure do) then you will probably have to stick to 256mm tdi, gti, sport stuff.

I thought the 16v 1.4 had 256mm brakes too though?

13's won't fit over 256mm brakes.

The 16V Sport did, although not convinced that the 75hp 16v did. Think that was different, and as stated came without removable carriers. Got 16V sport hubs on the rally car with originally 256mm discs, now on 280's, can't get 14 inch wheels on, minimum 15.

Ah the term "sport" is the key not the 16v bit for 256mm brakes.

A few (make that a very few) 13" will indeed fit over 256mm brakes, but it involves careful selection making sure the wheel ID and offset are right.

Just from looking at the discs they look the same size as the 3L, which I think it's 239x15mm. But I haven't actually measured them tbh. The extra weight is really noticeable on the 1.4, and even with new pads the brakes don't inspire much confidence.

If you mean G60 as in the 2 pot Girlings fitted to the likes of the Audi S2, then I have a refurbished pair of those gathering dust, so that would be a cheap upgrade. I have some 5.5kg 15" wheels, but it's not a great winter option.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2016 at 1:18 PM, Sausage said:

If you want to stay with small wheels due to weight (i sure do) then you will probably have to stick to 256mm tdi, gti, sport stuff.

I thought the 16v 1.4 had 256mm brakes too though?

just the Sport and tdi models, the cooking 75bhp has 239mm vented discs

On 07/10/2016 at 10:50 PM, Derv said:

Just from looking at the discs they look the same size as the 3L, which I think it's 239x15mm. But I haven't actually measured them tbh. The extra weight is really noticeable on the 1.4, and even with new pads the brakes don't inspire much confidence.

If you mean G60 as in the 2 pot Girlings fitted to the likes of the Audi S2, then I have a refurbished pair of those gathering dust, so that would be a cheap upgrade. I have some 5.5kg 15" wheels, but it's not a great winter option.

If you decide you'd rather part with the G60 2 pot brakes then I'd be very interested. 

As a family have 4 different Lupo's and Arosa's; a TDI, a 100 bhp Sport, a 75bhp SE and an Auto. The Auto has the best brakes despite having no rear discs and only 239mm discs up front, the worst are those of the TDI, despite having 256's up front. Next best are the Sport the only car with discs all round. The poor quality of the TDI's stoppers concerns me as discs pads and rear shoes have all been replaced in the past year, particularly so as this is the fastest point to point car we have, I don't want to fit rear discs because of the problems of seized calipers they bring so a G60 upgrade half appeals though I'd rather not have to find 15's to fit. Is there another option?