First Car

cherrys

Hey i've entered the cycle of getting a car for the first time. I passed my test yesterday and I'm keen to get a cheap as possible car/insurance setup for 1-2 to bring my NCD down/gain a bit of experience. 

Having looked into what cars (I'm not really fussed what I drive, i just want to gain experience on the roads and get my premiums down), corsa/clios seem to be high risk + my area (slough, berks) isn't doing me favours. Someone recommended to look into a VW Lupo 1.0L. I'm in love with the look and size of the car and i've always admired the interiors of VWs so this looks like a perfect first car. In fact I don't want anything else! 

As far as maintenance, will I struggle with a car of this age? (Will mostly likely be looking for 00-03). Is there a certain mileage at which I should avoid?

Insurance is coming to £2.5K with a blackbox WITH my dad as a named driver. I've yet to call companies up but i think I will have to suffer for 1 year. I'm 21 and a male. Does anyone recall what their quote was at 17-21 for a lupo 1.0?

thanks

Congratulations on passing your test.

VW Lupo would be an ideal first car in my opinion

And a 1.0E would be ideal. There are plenty about. I just got one with 70k on it and it is running like a dream.

The Lupo poos all over Clios and Corsas of the same age. You'll pick a 53 reg up no problem. 

Just make sure the gearbox is ok then include draining the oil in your usual service schedule.

1 hour ago, Skezza said:

The Lupo shits all over Clios and Corsas of the same age. You'll pick a 53 reg up no problem. 

Just make sure the gearbox is ok then include draining the oil in your usual service schedule.

hey, so i've found a black 52 plate lupo for £700. Exterior looks perfect and pictures of the interior are pending but it looks like a well looked after car. It has 75K on  the clock, has recently done an MOT + had a baterry fitted.  

Now when I go to see it what exactly am i looking for? I'm un-informed in vehicles but still learning. Is the price for the mileage and condition fair?

Cheers

1 hour ago, cherrys said:

hey, so i've found a black 52 plate lupo for £700. Exterior looks perfect and pictures of the interior are pending but it looks like a well looked after car. It has 75K on  the clock, has recently done an MOT + had a baterry fitted.  

Now when I go to see it what exactly am i looking for? I'm un-informed in vehicles but still learning. Is the price for the mileage and condition fair?

Cheers

700 is about right.

For the money its difficult to beat the Lupo in my opinion.

Plus for a little motor its crash test videos are pretty impressive.

I went for as basic a one as possible as hopefully it will be an extra car for life. Wind down windows and no central locking might save a few quid over the decades!

Very happy with my choice. Plus the help from this forum has been a real bonus.

£2.5k for insuring a 1.0 Lupo is outrageous.

Fully appreciate that young drivers are a risk but is it a surprise so many drive uninsured.

I am 40 and pay £230 fully comp a year for commercial insurance on my Relay with full NCD

But with zero NCD on the Lupo its still only £197 a year fully comp for me and the wife.

Has to be some kind of a way of rebalancing it.

6 hours ago, sawdust said:

£2.5k for insuring a 1.0 Lupo is outrageous.

Fully appreciate that young drivers are a risk but is it a surprise so many drive uninsured.

I am 40 and pay £230 fully comp a year for commercial insurance on my Relay with full NCD

But with zero NCD on the Lupo its still only £197 a year fully comp for me and the wife.

Has to be some kind of a way of rebalancing it.

after more searching, the LOWEST is 10 months insurance with a blackbox on bell that will give me 1 years NCB. That comes to £1498 one off payment. I will probably get £100 off due to multi car insurance but still feels crap.

I'm willing to get a dashcam + blackbox + refrain from driving certain hours. I would of got pass plus but apparently it doesn't do that much for the £100-150 invested. Not keen on being named since I'd like to get my NCB up. I'm sure there probably is a insurer that will offer close to £1000 or below, just need to continue looking.

there's so much bullshit on the insurance forms, 9000 miles a year was cheaper than 5000 for whatever reason. It took me a lot of trial and error to figure that out.

besides that i've found a very clean red 1.0 lupo (02 plate) at 124K on the clock for £570. This one is a bit cheaper to insure than the £700 one previously stated as that one was an SE model so more to insure. Should I be worried at the mileage?

cheers

The TDI should be far more than a 1.0 lol. A SDI should be less or the same. 

There is some logic to the insurance roulette tbf, even if it seems bizarre. 

im 28 and recently passed only last october.. i was lucky to grab a 1.0e on a Y reg 2001 with 83,000 on the clock,  im the second owner with all the history as a little oldy lady had it before me and serviced it with the VW garage she brought it with religiously hence the ridiculous price i paid of £1250.. my insurance was £1750 for the first year with direct line and thats with my partner and i having a multi car discount etc so it will be high the first year or 2! it was a shock for me i asure you but does get better as my renewal has knocked a £1000 offand now im getting quotes of around £650-£800 fully comp for the year!

i cant find it now but there is a thread with things to look out for when buying a Lupo so have a look around the site for that but from what i can remember its 1.4's you have to be more careful with 

i know the frustration of wanting to get out on the road right away but take some bullet points from this guide with you when you view and dont be afraid to walk away and hang on for the right car for you as the chances are you will want it to last you at least 2 years..

18 hours ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi,

I'm surprised we couldn't offer you a quote. Did we say why we couldn't help?

Regards,

Dan.

Personally wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. In fact if they offered to pay me to have insurance with them I wouldn't. The attitude and manner of who I spoke to was honestly the worst I'd ever had from any company anywhere that I've ever spoke to. I'm sure some do have good experiences, but my first (and last) contact with Adrian Flux was shocking. 

FWIW I paid £3900 for the first year on my 1.0 lupo, which dropped to £1500 after the first year. 

18 hours ago, cj1 said:

Personally wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. In fact if they offered to pay me to have insurance with them I wouldn't. The attitude and manner of who I spoke to was honestly the worst I'd ever had from any company anywhere that I've ever spoke to. I'm sure some do have good experiences, but my first (and last) contact with Adrian Flux was shocking. 

FWIW I paid £3900 for the first year on my 1.0 lupo, which dropped to £1500 after the first year. 

3900?? why?

did you do 50k miles on it a year?

5 hours ago, cherrys said:

3900?? why?

did you do 50k miles on it a year?

No , 10000. I don't know why. It was the cheapest quote I got. Around 5 years ago

Edited by cj1

2 hours ago, cj1 said:

£600 now at 22 for a golf R! Can't complain .

£350/400 or so for the lupo rally car. 

600 at 22 is decent. It does all depend on driving history ;) black boxes don't bloody help!!