Rear beam replacement

benherron

• 1 year later...
36 minutes ago, Haydyybear said:

when changing the rear beam did you get new rear brake lines? as im swapping my beam for a gti beam and been told the lines will just twist and snap?

Nope only parts i changed was beam and bushes. I remember using a lot of Plusgas though.
On the old beam I'm pretty sure I just hack sawed off the mounts the brake lines go through. I could then separate the flexy and hard lines.

22 minutes ago, benherron said:

Nope only parts i changed was beam and bushes. I remember using a lot of Plusgas though.
On the old beam I'm pretty sure I just hack sawed off the mounts the brake lines go through. I could then separate the flexy and hard lines.

yeah im very tempted to just cut the mounts off to be honest.

I'm slowly getting this done on ours - if you have the facility to make brake pipes (or indeed, have a good local motor factors that will do them for you), it's easy to just let the brake pipes snap, then get a six sided socket on the remains of the fitting to remove it from the flexi. Then knock up a couple of new pipes and Bob's your mum's brother.

1 hour ago, hoddlewaddle said:

I'm slowly getting this done on ours - if you have the facility to make brake pipes (or indeed, have a good local motor factors that will do them for you), it's easy to just let the brake pipes snap, then get a six sided socket on the remains of the fitting to remove it from the flexi. Then knock up a couple of new pipes and Bob's your mum's brother.

Depends on drums or discs.

• 1 year later...

I only came here to post a comment aboutr this issue, as I see it all the time lately (MOT tester), the bodies of cars dont rust any more, but subframes are bad on all cars, the reason why this one is so bad is proablby because it is low mileage and probably been sat for a while and anything will rust if you let it sit there.

These axles are very difficult to assess upon test as they will go where you just cant see it, right at the top or back of the bush mount, and the rest of the axle will look fine in some cases.

Serious fault there because you just wont see it coming (although most I pick up during test if I can see it)

Just done a 2001 Polo fort his exactg fault!