Chris's Laser Blue GTI

chrisgti95

After selling my 2003 Anthracite GTI, I thought I'd introduce my new car, a 2005 Laser Blue GTI B)

DSC_0001.JPG

I never intended to sell my old one or buy this car, it just happened :P I was browsing Auto Trader one night and I saw a blue GTI for sale which looked nice. I always wanted a blue one but as we all know you can't be overly picky with colours due to the rarity of GTIs, and back in 2013 when I was looking, none were for sale. After looking more closely at the pictures, I began to wonder whether the car for sale was one of the super-rare Laser Blue models, of which less than ten are known to have been made. I compared the car with photos I found on Google and my suspicions were correct! That sealed the deal for me, and as well as the colour, it was completely unmodified, had only done 46k and had my dream spec of heated leather and air con, two options my old GTI didn't have. I phoned the seller on the Thursday and by Sunday I was driving it home!

There was understandably a lot of interest in the car and I ended up having to leave a deposit before even viewing it to make sure nobody else got in there first. The best thing was the seller only bought the car from the first owner as a runaround for his girlfriend so he had no idea how rare it was! He couldn't believe the amount of interest he'd had but I didn't feel the need to let him know why :lol:

As it hadn't been enthusiast-owned in recent years, it was a bit ropey in places but nothing that couldn't be sorted. I was reassured by the fact that the first owner appeared to be an enthusiast who, looking at the service history, had clearly spent a lot of money maintaining the car, in addition to the £14k he would have paid for it when new :o A bit of fettling would it get it back to its former glory so I bought the car, but didn't use it for about a month so it could be brought up to standard. I had the wheels refurbished as they were in a dreadful state, fitted a new high-level brake light as the old old one didn't work, and went through a full paint correction process using a machine polisher to bring the colour back. 

Anyway enough waffling, onto the photos: 

DSC_0003.JPGDSC_0005.JPGDSC_0007.JPGDSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

And one with the other cars in the family, as you can tell we're all petrolheads :P

DSC_0017.JPG

Loving the car so far and I'm planning to keep it standard. My old one was lowered but I'm willing to accept the slightly floatier handling for a comfier ride, and I think it's important with the rarity of the Laser Blue models. Thanks for looking :)

Edited by chrisgti95

Thats very nice, congratulations! Also you have now owned the two rarest colours for the GTi :)

Well done on keeping it standard, although a bit of lowering never hurts anyone (at least that's what I'm planning for mine). I would love a Laser Blue one, but they seem even more difficult to come by over here than it is in the UK!

And be sure to keep the pictures coming!

Nice. Very nice. What's the original reg? I know of at least 4 in Laser Blue, and possibly five. Yours could be the sixth one!

Also I've never seen lupo mudflaps fitted to a GTI. They actually look like they fit reasonable well considering the bodywork is different.

7 hours ago, jon_273 said:

Nice. Very nice. What's the original reg? I know of at least 4 in Laser Blue, and possibly five. Yours could be the sixth one!

Also I've never seen lupo mudflaps fitted to a GTI. They actually look like they fit reasonable well considering the bodywork is different.

The original reg is LD55EMX. As I said, I believe the first owner was an enthusiast but I've never seen any photos of the car on here before. 

They aren't actually Lupo mudflaps, they're from a BMW 1 series :lol: my mum used to have a 125i and had some fitted to hers which looked like they might fit onto my first GTI. There's a bit of cutting involved but they do look neat so I bought some more for the new one.

13 hours ago, chrisgti95 said:

The original reg is LD55EMX. As I said, I believe the first owner was an enthusiast but I've never seen any photos of the car on here before. 

They aren't actually Lupo mudflaps, they're from a BMW 1 series :lol: my mum used to have a 125i and had some fitted to hers which looked like they might fit onto my first GTI. There's a bit of cutting involved but they do look neat so I bought some more for the new one.

Ah, interesting. I actually expressed an interest in buying this car when it was advertised for sale on here back in 2013. The owner was a member on here (T-Bone) and he sent me some photos of the car. For personal reasons he delayed the sale and I didn't hear from him for two months, during which time I bought my current red GTI. Then he got back in touch with me offering it to me again. I decided to keep my red GTI, and always partly regretted it!

From my correspondence he certainly did seem to be an enthusiast, so you can assume it was looked after.

I only have evidence of 4 Laser Blue GTI's. I have some photo's saved of another one but the number plates were covered up. They are certainly rare though!

1 hour ago, lupo1.0se said:

Was this in Suffolk? I remember this one. I was quite tempted. But I have spent way too much on the I have!

It was Norwich, so close enough! Seems like plenty of people were tempted, the advert only went live three days before I bought it and the seller said he'd had about five phone calls! That's why I had to leave a deposit before I even saw the car.