ELM327 mini not connecting to Torque Pro?

Hi

I'm trying to clear two lights on the dashboard for the Oil Pressure and Airbag Warning.

With the help of someone on another forum (and their VCDS or Vagcom) I've been troubleshooting and think they are ready to clear.

Rather than be on the blag constantly and to get to know the car more I bought one of the bluetooth ELM327 minis available on ebay.

It arrived today and despite a few hours work and using several different programs from the google playstore (including Torque Pro) I cannot connect to the Lupo.

I can 'see' the device on my phone and there seems to be power to the unit, but the device doesn't 'seem' to talk to the car.

Any help if you have had this problem is greatly appreciated.

281433442746_1.jpg

1 hour ago, baron silas greenback said:

Hi

I'm trying to clear two lights on the dashboard for the Oil Pressure and Airbag Warning.

With the help of someone on another forum (and their VCDS or Vagcom) I've been troubleshooting and think they are ready to clear.

Rather than be on the blag constantly and to get to know the car more I bought one of the bluetooth ELM327 minis available on ebay.

It arrived today and despite a few hours work and using several different programs from the google playstore (including Torque Pro) I cannot connect to the Lupo.

I can 'see' the device on my phone and there seems to be power to the unit, but the device doesn't 'seem' to talk to the car.

Any help if you have had this problem is greatly appreciated.

281433442746_1.jpg

Neither can be cleared with a generic OBD2 pal :( 

On the topic of why your OBD isn't connecting. The Lupo is a great car for generic OBD's to connect to. Follows all the generic protocols. Therefore, if it's not working, I'd be checking to see if the dongle is broken or the OBD socket isn't working properly.

I would think as the OBDII port has been used with VCDS in the  last week by me the port is okay.

The elm327 mini is being recognised as a bluetooth unit by phone/tablet/laptop and pairing successfully - I think this could be just a duff unit, came off ebay from a UK seller but when I contacted them to raise an issue over this the replies have been suspiciously 'google tranlate-ish' so I think it may be a lost cause to get it replaced.

Generic OBDII won't clear these lights? You are breaking my heart :(

4 minutes ago, baron silas greenback said:

I would think as the OBDII port has been used with VCDS in the  last week by me the port is okay.

The elm327 mini is being recognised as a bluetooth unit by phone/tablet/laptop and pairing successfully - I think this could be just a duff unit, came off ebay from a UK seller but when I contacted them to raise an issue over this the replies have been suspiciously 'google tranlate-ish' so I think it may be a lost cause to get it replaced.

Generic OBDII won't clear these lights? You are breaking my heart :(

I'm afraid I am breaking your heart sir. Generic OBD2's are basically designed for basic engine management. They'll pick up all your fault codes like misfires, emissions, faulty sensors, etc. What they won't do, however is scan other vehicle specific modules and the airbag light is triggered by the Airbag Control Module which isn't part of the ECU. I very much doubt it'll pickup your oil pressure warning too, because that is simply fired by the oil pressure switch. In fact, if your oil pressure light is on, I'd be checking your oil pressure ;)because there's no system to really go wrong there other than the actual switch itself. They do have a tendency to fail to be fair.

For your Airbag woes, you'll need to grab one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Cable-KKL-VAG-COM-409-1-OBD2-II-OBD-Diagnostic-Scanner-VW-Audi-Seat-VCDS-/181943862397?hash=item2a5cb3047d:g:H74AAOSwv-NWWCSW

Yeah the oil pressure light should be cool, I changed the oil and filter over the weekend, dropped off the sump and cleaned the pickup. I also replaced the oil pressure switch, but I think it was basically the wiring to the spade connecter to the sensor which had become frayed, so that got some heat shrink wrap.

May have gone over the top but it was good to service anyway.

As for the airbag I replaced the clockspring, which seemed a bit worn visually but I'll just have to see if it worked, thats the one I need cleared to pass the NCT.

That link is good for clearing lights Skezza?

Edited by baron silas greenback

2 hours ago, baron silas greenback said:

Yeah the oil pressure light should be cool, I changed the oil and filter over the weekend, dropped off the sump and cleaned the pickup. I also replaced the oil pressure switch, but I think it was basically the wiring to the spade connecter to the sensor which had become frayed, so that got some heat shrink wrap.

May have gone over the top but it was good to service anyway.

As for the airbag I replaced the clockspring, which seemed a bit worn visually but I'll just have to see if it worked, thats the one I need cleared to pass the NCT.

That link is good for clearing lights Skezza?

If you changed the clock spring I hope you centered it correctly or it might go again!!

After changing it, you will need to clear it with a VCDS cable and yup, the cable I linked above will do that. I would disassemble the old clock spring and check if it's broken. There's a design defect with the Lupo clock springs that can ironically be fixed with a bit of intuitive design.