SDi Stuttering/Stalling

14 hours ago, DeanH said:

Reading of 98.1 taken from the sensor which i believe to be in tolerance.

Fuel lines are next on the list, can anyone recommend a suitable clear hose?

I bought 10m of this sort of hose years ago: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEAR-PVC-BRAIDED-HOSE-FOOD-GRADE-OIL-WATER-GASES-REINFORCED-PIPE-TUBE-/301730726963

Mine is 8mm ID 14.5mm OD.

Just do the pipes between the filter and the pump so you can see what comes in the pump and what goes out.

Edited by Sausage

15 hours ago, cj1 said:

Have you had a fuel pressure gauge on to check if there actually is an issue with fuelling? 

No, the misfire is intermittent and hard to predict so i would struggle to see the gauge in time anyway. I could possibly do some logging in vagcom but like i say i can't make it happen so it could take hours.

14 hours ago, Skezza said:

A bit of air in the lines isn't uncommon, I promise.

I thought the same but the fault codes seem to point towards this. Maybe i have a hole in the fuel line which only opens under high pressure?

1 hour ago, Sausage said:

I bought 10m of this sort of hose years ago: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEAR-PVC-BRAIDED-HOSE-FOOD-GRADE-OIL-WATER-GASES-REINFORCED-PIPE-TUBE-/301730726963

Mine is 8mm ID 14.5mm OD.

Just do the pipes between the filter and the pump so you can see what comes in the pump and what goes out.

Okie doke, will give that a go for now.

On 10/9/2016 at 10:45 AM, DeanH said:

No, the misfire is intermittent and hard to predict so i would struggle to see the gauge in time anyway. I could possibly do some logging in vagcom but like i say i can't make it happen so it could take hours.

I thought the same but the fault codes seem to point towards this. Maybe i have a hole in the fuel line which only opens under high pressure?

Okie doke, will give that a go for now.

The fuel line is constantly at the same pressure. 

32 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Dumb Q, but does anyone know if the SDI has a diesel lift pump or is it standard suck it all the way from the tank?

My understanding is that they dont (unlike the TDI with it's in tank pump)  and rely on the fuel pump (injection pump) doing the sucking to get the fuel up front. There's probably a priming bulb and a one way valve to stop it draining back to the tank though.

I cant remember if he's checked the fuel strainer in the tank pick up yet though.... 

Edited by Sausage

8 hours ago, Mobieus_uk said:

The S in sdi stands for suction, there is no pump in the tank

SDI = Saugdiesel mit Direkteinspritzung, which translates as normally aspirated diesel engine with direct injection. Not turbine or super charged, and no pre-ignition chamber.

4 hours ago, mk2 said:

SDI = Saugdiesel mit Direkteinspritzung, which translates as normally aspirated diesel engine with direct injection. Not turbine or super charged, and no pre-ignition chamber.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saugdiesel

Good read that.

11 hours ago, Skezza said:

There's a wacky but alternative possibility..I'll hold off for now 

Arghhh, don't keep us in suspense.... :)

Deanh, was there much crud in that filter mesh- as in was it completely gunged up?

3 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Deanh, was there much crud in that filter mesh- as in was it completely gunged up?

Changed the fuel filter, and it's become blocked again by some disturbed debris at the bottom of the tank. Rare but not entirely unheard of.

13 minutes ago, Skezza said:

Changed the fuel filter, and it's become blocked again by some disturbed debris at the bottom of the tank. Rare but not entirely unheard of.

Suppose they're only a couple of quid from ECP with their never ending 30% off sale!

On 14 October 2016 at 9:18 AM, mk2 said:

No, just some fine silt in the sender unit.

Everything seems to have cleared up for now. Just the bearing to tackle next.

Touch wood.