SDi common problems

Hi all! 

We currently have a 1.0 lupo and are considering an SDi to join the fleet.

Are there any common issues with the SDi that I should be looking for?

I'm aware of the common rust places, pedal box, door straps, heater resistor etc, but just wondering if there's anything specific to this model.

I have limited mechanical knowledge, so please be gentle ?

Well apart from the usual things that affect most models (as you've stated), I'd probably only be wary of the gearbox and just check when last the drive belt and aux belt have been changed.

In the eight years i've had mine the only major things to go have been the power steering pump (easy to sort), and the gearbox -which was down to the selector seal going (common fault) and the oil level going down and slowly cooking the fifth gear. So not entirely catastrophic, but a pain having only four gears until you get a another gearbox to stick in -am there's not an awful lot surprisingly to go about. You can easily check if the seal is going by how much oil is sitting around the back of the box.

Thanks for that....

I've taken a gamble on it anyway. The belts and water pump were changed this year, there's a fair bit of history with it, and it's only done 85k so prob only just broken in, and there's no trace of a leak around the bottom end or 'box. 

Will post pics when I've picked it up ?

39 minutes ago, Pablojones said:

Thanks for that....

I've taken a gamble on it anyway. The belts and water pump were changed this year, there's a fair bit of history with it, and it's only done 85k so prob only just broken in, and there's no trace of a leak around the bottom end or 'box. 

Will post pics when I've picked it up ?

The fact the belt was done this year is warranty enough for me. ;) crack on and enjoy

10 hours ago, Skezza said:

The fact the belt was done this year is warranty enough for me. ;) crack on and enjoy

It looks a bit unloved at the moment, I think it's a diamond in the rough. My daughter loves it anyway, so that's enough for me?

2 hours ago, Pablojones said:

It looks a bit unloved at the moment, I think it's a diamond in the rough. My daughter loves it anyway, so that's enough for me?

The SDI is always a diamond in the rough, no matter how good the bodywork is :D I always like to consider SDI's as proper workhorse cars. They're not fast, they're not quiet, they're a bit dirty, but they're just troopers that will seemingly go on and on, much better than say the petrol 1.0 and 1.4. My SDI Lupo will simply not die.

My son has had a 1.0 for the last 2 1/2yrs. Fun little car that's been a great 1st car.

I had a 1.4 open air for a while, a bit more pokey, but no speed demon.

The SDi seems quick enough, especially as it's a first car for my daughter. Not the most refined engine in the world, but simple and reliable works for me. Only £30 to tax the thing too, which coupled with what I hope to be uber frugal, works for me ?

If you want to smoothen the idle a bit, I've wrote a tutorial. Just get a cheapo VAG cable off eBay and DIY it. Very straightforward and does make the experience just a bit more enjoyable.

4 hours ago, Skezza said:

If you want to smoothen the idle a bit, I've wrote a tutorial. Just get a cheapo VAG cable off eBay and DIY it. Very straightforward and does make the experience just a bit more enjoyable.

I literally have no idea what that means ?

On 29/08/2016 at 10:47 PM, Skezza said:

The SDI gearbox wasn't one of the defect boxes so you must have lost A LOT of oil.

Well not that much actually, just enough to leave fifth running relatively dry. The FFV gearbox is your usual 085 that has fifth stuck on the end of the shaft sitting in the shallows.

1 hour ago, Hazy said:

Well not that much actually, just enough to leave fifth running relatively dry. The FFV gearbox is your usual 085 that has fifth stuck on the end of the shaft sitting in the shallows.

If so, it's a terrible design.

My SDi has been in the family since new, that'll be 16 years come November. The only problems have been:

- Brake pedal connector - car would brake but brake lights didn't light up.

- Gearshift selector - car wouldn't go into reverse, well, it would but it moved forward anyway.

These two things happened before the car was 3 years old.

Never had anything other than maintenance ever since. It is now needing a new clutch, I think it deserves it :D

I'll echo everyone else's sentiments RE reliability, the SDI variants are a wonderfull choice for people who want a no-nonsense working car :)

I've had mine for 5 months and clocked up 6000 miles now, other than an exhaust and window winder failing (The usual stuff you'de expect to replace on a 15 year old car) it's been utterly dependable.

Edited by JoeyEunos

• 1 month later...
On 09/03/2016 at 11:58 AM, Blue Loop said:

My SDi has been in the family since new, that'll be 16 years come November. The only problems have been:

- Brake pedal connector - car would brake but brake lights didn't light up.

- Gearshift selector - car wouldn't go into reverse, well, it would but it moved forward anyway.

These two things happened before the car was 3 years old.

Never had anything other than maintenance ever since. It is now needing a new clutch, I think it deserves it :D

How many miles/km has the car done on the original clutch? I'm wondering because I want an excuse to pull my gearbox out and rebuild it. But my first SDI has only done 75k miles.

Mine's just about to clock 128k and I'm almost 100% sure it's on the original clutch (Extensive history file detailing all work done up to 108k with no mention of clutch job)

The pedal feels pretty heavy indicating worn plates perhaps? I'm fairly certain it will need doing in the not too distant future <_<

2 hours ago, JoeyEunos said:

Mine's just about to clock 128k and I'm almost 100% sure it's on the original clutch (Extensive history file detailing all work done up to 108k with no mention of clutch job)

The pedal feels pretty heavy indicating worn plates perhaps? I'm fairly certain it will need doing in the not too distant future <_<

Mine was slipping a lot

2 hours ago, Skezza said:

Mine was slipping a lot

Then there's hope for me yet...

It's heavy but thus far not slipping. Frankly I'm not sure how long an original clutch can be expected to last... Even if it gave up tomorrow I'd feel that at 128k it's had a good innings :ph34r:

Edited by JoeyEunos

1 hour ago, JoeyEunos said:

Then there's hope for me yet...

It's heavy but thus far not slipping. Frankly I'm not sure how long an original clutch can be expected to last... Even if it gave up tomorrow I'd feel that at 128k it's had a good innings :ph34r:

It's a decent innings to be fair. Going to replace yourself?