VW LUPO diesel sport 1.4 how many miles is too many?

Victoria

Seems a good price to me. All depends on the condition though. There is no mileage that is too high as long as everything has been looked after.

Do you have a link to the advert?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Victoria said:

Hi there,

I need your advice.

I am interested in buying a 2002 VW LUPO diesel 1.4 sport which has 137,000 miles. Is £1000 over priced?

How many miles is too many for a diesel Lupo?

Thank you

Nothing wrong with the 1.4 TDi's. They've got a good reliable turbo which lasts forever if serviced properly and is cheap to mend if it breaks anyway. I would imagine a Lupo 1.4TDi lasting in excess of 300k miles if it's serviced and what not.

On 25/08/2016 at 11:02 AM, Victoria said:

Hi there,

I need your advice.

I am interested in buying a 2002 VW LUPO diesel 1.4 sport which has 137,000 miles. Is £1000 over priced?

How many miles is too many for a diesel Lupo?

Thank you

My tdi lupo is on almost 235k and will be on 250k or over by the end of the year and will hit (fingers crossed) 300k by this time next year, maybe even a little more. I'll get it to 500k miles in the next 3 to 4 years no probs.

I have a slight turbo/boost issue that i'm sorting at the moment (think I've fixed it now) but if i look through its history (full VW until 180k) its not ever had a clutch, turbo or any gearbox issues. It drives spot on.

I paid £700 for mine with 180k on the clock with a full history. Some might say i paid a little too much but like what Jon has said as long as it's looked after you should be ok. The full documented main dealer history did it for me, every bit of work is on it.

Your's with 137k is still a baby :)

Edited by FlipFlops

I brought a Tdi last August with 142k on it, no history and paid £1000.

its been a dream to drive. I have mapped it myself to 100hp with no problems (apart from a constant grin on my face)

I put a new clutch in it a few months ago and tbh it probably had a fair bit of life left in it.

give the gearbox a thorough test especially when cold and check for crunchy gear changes

Barely run in at that mileage only issue is the fragility of the gearbox; I suppose any increase in torque will put it more at risk if you remap the engine. I'm not saying it's particularly weak it isn't, but it's prone to issues around 3rd gear syncros and thats the gear we love best for maximum acceleration 

Edited by weslangdon

I bought my TDI 12 years ago on 24k. Now this morning ticked over to 188K, has full service history, whenever something has broken or i think something is about too ive replaced it.

Not let me down yet. 127k is nothing on one of these bad boys. To think i only paid 5k with it having 24k on it and 2 years old is madness considering what they still fetch now.

1 minute ago, weslangdon said:

Barely run in at that mileage only issue is the fragility of the gearbox; I suppose any increase in torque will put it more at risk if you remap the engine

I thought the TDI was another model that wasn't affected by the gearbox issues? I believe only the 1.0 and 1.4 

27 minutes ago, FlipFlops said:

Is the Lupo 1.4 petrol gearbox the same gearbox they put in the Golf mk4 1.4?

Not sure. From my limited knowledge of the gearbox problems, the 1.0 boxes are affected up until the very last revisions. There is a thread on here explaining the issues, but basically 5th is starved of oil if there is any kind of leak. Seeing as the selector seals leak from the factory (a quote given to Mattarosa by a SEAT employee) and yet VW claim the boxes are sealed for life, it's no surprise that so many 1.0's have been written off by gbox failures. I believe 1.4 may have been affected by the same issue. I was told SDI, TDI, GTI were not affected and in fact the GTI box is one of the strong ones, unlike it's big brother Polo which has a gearbox made of cheese.

15 hours ago, Skezza said:

1.0 boxes are affected up until the very last revisions. There is a thread on here explaining the issues, but basically 5th is starved of oil if there is any kind of leak. Seeing as the selector seals leak from the factory (a quote given to Mattarosa by a SEAT employee) and yet VW claim the boxes are sealed for life, it's no surprise that so many 1.0's have been written off by gbox failures. I believe 1.4 may have been affected by the same issue. I was told SDI, TDI, GTI were not affected

Without meaning to directly contradict Skezza here (He's far more knowledgable than me and has helped me loads with SDI based queries!) , the SDI models use the same '085' series gearbox as the 1.0 and 1.4 models, albeit with different ratios to accomodate the diesel lump and as such should in theory suffer the same issues (5th is at the top of the 'box too).

Why are the 1.0 and 1.4 models so infamous for early failure, whilst the SDI's don't seem to get much mention I hear you cry? I'd suggest that they're probably no more prone to it than SDI variants, it's just in terms of numbers they're far more prevelent  than the relatively rare NA diesel models, and on that basis we all hear about them much more... Try and find a good SDI 'box from breakers online, it will quickly become apparent that they've pretty much gone/go straight away to be used as replacement units, very telling ;)

RE the TDI gearbox, those cars don't use the 085 gearbox, althought anecdotal evidence suggests they do on occasion fail too in the same way that most other post 1995 VW boxes can... I'm a great lover of VAG cars but there's a general consensus that for a long time now they've been resposnible for producing some fairly shonky gearboxes -_-

Sorry, DXQ. I doubt I'm more knowledgeable on the specifics. I've never had a SDI box apart. 

Realistically, you keep on top of the selector seal and you'll be fine.

3 hours ago, Skezza said:

Sorry, DXQ. I doubt I'm more knowledgeable on the specifics. I've never had a SDI box apart. 

Realistically, you keep on top of the selector seal and you'll be fine.

DXQ is the gearbox 'code' where-as the gearbox 'type' is '085', common in many VW's of that era. Here's an Ebay listing showing an example of an '085' gearbox coupled with the codes that it's compatable with (Including DXQ)...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POLO-1-9-1-7-DIESEL-SDI-RECON-GEARBOX-085-DCT-DCH-DED-DPX-DXF-DXQ-DXG-FDQ-EQX-/270822020301

Also, and perhaps more usefully, here's a link to a Seat workshop manual for Arosa gearboxes, showing the 1.0, 1.4 and SDI all using the '085' gearbox, albeit with differing codes...http://workshop-manuals.com/seat/leon-mk1/085_5-speed_manual_gearbox/technical_data/identifying_the_gearbox/

Worth noting that the Seat workshop manual also recommentds 'G50' gear oil for all of the '085' gearboxes (1.0, 1.4 and SDI)

1 hour ago, JoeyEunos said:

DXQ is the gearbox 'code' where-as the gearbox 'type' is '085', common in many VW's of that era. Here's an Ebay listing showing an example of an '085' gearbox coupled with the codes that it's compatable with (Including DXQ)...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POLO-1-9-1-7-DIESEL-SDI-RECON-GEARBOX-085-DCT-DCH-DED-DPX-DXF-DXQ-DXG-FDQ-EQX-/270822020301

Also, and perhaps more usefully, here's a link to a Seat workshop manual for Arosa gearboxes, showing the 1.0, 1.4 and SDI all using the '085' gearbox, albeit with differing codes...http://workshop-manuals.com/seat/leon-mk1/085_5-speed_manual_gearbox/technical_data/identifying_the_gearbox/

Worth noting that the Seat workshop manual also recommentds 'G50' gear oil for all of the '085' gearboxes (1.0, 1.4 and SDI)

Is that the thicker oil? All I know is my SDI Gearbox is now on 170k+ and is still fine and still has smooth changes. I don't believe for a second that that's coincidence. I believe it's because I put a thicker oil in (due to its age) and I replaced the selector seal.

Keep on top of those issues and you will be fine with a VW Lupo. 

59 minutes ago, Skezza said:

Is that the thicker oil? All I know is my SDI Gearbox is now on 170k+ and is still fine and still has smooth changes. I don't believe for a second that that's coincidence. I believe it's because I put a thicker oil in (due to its age) and I replaced the selector seal.

Keep on top of those issues and you will be fine with a VW Lupo.

G50 is GL4, fully synthetic and is/was 75w90, although it's of a much higher viscosity than many oils of the same grade once up to temperature (Lot's more boring information on this in my members cars thread) :D

I completely agree RE keeping on top of the level and addressing any leaks, having some actual oil in the box (Irrespective of what grade) is always a good policy ;)