Worth the money?

L4RRY

Hi all

Sold my Lupo a few years ago so been off the forum since then. Just seen this GTI up for sale near me... Seems pricey even after a price reduction from £2995 to £2700. Here's the ad...

2001 Lupo Gti 1.6L, for sale. 
150,000 miles

Imported from the UK in 2013 hence the motorway mileage. Has done around 10K on Jersey roads and drives excellent - hasn’t let me down, engine and gearbox are solid.

Its great example for its age. Body has some minor scuffs and some stone chips from age but nothing serious. Interior is in excellent clean condition.

This is a great rare little car, perfect for island driving.

Standard interior spec:
Alarm
Electric Windows (Passenger side needs looking at)
Electric Sunroof
Radio/CD Player w/aux 3.5mm input

Please private message me for more information/viewing. 
Genuine offers considered in the region of £2700

Maybe the seller's a forum member and wants to fight his corner...

Cheers!

Lupo.jpg

11 hours ago, Skajme said:

To give you a bit of an idea, I paid £2700 for a 2001 on 78k, so i'd say the price is kind of high aswell! Unless I got myself a bargain I suppose, ha.

You did to be fair. That's excellent price.

I always struggle to get my head round the GTI pricing TBH...

When 18. turbo variants of the Mk4 Golf GTI's have been under £2k to buy (And often with sub 100k millages for that price) for some time now, I really don't understand why Lupo's with taxi millage would fetch so much :o

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be deliberately contrary about it, but the Golf is faster (And superior in just about every other way)... Am I missing something?

The 1.8T 150PS wasn't actually faster though was it? The Lupo GTI was supposed to be the fastest GTI to date when it came out. Obviously the golf can be remapped, but I'm just making the point.

Rarity counts for a lot also.

1 hour ago, jon_273 said:

The 1.8T 150PS wasn't actually faster though was it? The Lupo GTI was supposed to be the fastest GTI to date when it came out. Obviously the golf can be remapped, but I'm just making the point.

Rarity counts for a lot also.

Not stock but a cheeky remap will have a Golf GTI 1.8T absolutely flying past a Lupo.

59 minutes ago, JoeyEunos said:

The 1.8T GTI did/does 134 mph vs the Lupo GTI's 127mph, so yes, it's faster ;)

FWIW I get the rarity thing though, I still struggle to understand why anyone would pay that kind of money for one. Each to his own eh?

There's also the Polo Gti 6n2

22 hours ago, Skezza said:

Not stock but a cheeky remap will have a Golf GTI 1.8T absolutely flying past a Lupo.

Exactly.

3 hours ago, Skezza said:

There's also the Polo Gti 6n2

This too.

Like I say, each to there own, but to me the Lupo GTI pricing seems barmy, and frankly leaves me baffled as to why anyone would bother :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, JoeyEunos said:

Exactly.

This too.

Like I say, each to there own, but to me the Lupo GTI pricing seems barmy, and frankly leaves me baffled as to why anyone would bother :rolleyes:

You may have a go in mine, I will send you a text when I am next in it.

The 1.8T mk4 is an awfull car, the engines also self destruct all the time, there is no performance in a heavy **** handling ugly 150 horsed car.

The Lupo gti is an na premium thing, far better than the 6n2.

The 6n2 lags where the Lupo seems to charge, this still applies when the 6n2 has a Lupo gti six speed box.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

The 1.8T mk4 is an awfull car, the engines also self destruct all the time, there is no performance in a heavy **** handling ugly 150 horsed car.

The 6n2 lags where the Lupo seems to charge, this still applies when the 6n2 has a Lupo gti six speed box.

That's a very kind offer Sir, and I'd be happy to be proven wrong <_< In keeping with the spirit of things, I'd happily offer a test drive of my legendary '89 Eunos in exchange. Drop me a text one weekend ;) TBH though, to make a 2001 hatchback with 150k under it's belt worth £2700 it would have to have some kind of built in Jenna Jameson head that came out of the dash and provided constant blowjobs as I drove....I Just don't get it....

Also, worth mentioning I've driven the 1.8T models fairly extensively, wallowy and heavy they may be but they provide very nippy driving with a grown up feel to it. For me, and at my time of life that counts for a lot.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Driven a 6n2. They seem okay to me, other than the gearboxes being made of cheese.

7 hours ago, JoeyEunos said:

The 1.8T GTI did/does 134 mph vs the Lupo GTI's 127mph, so yes, it's faster ;)

FWIW I get the rarity thing though, I still struggle to understand why anyone would pay that kind of money for one. Each to his own eh?

0-60 the Lupo GTI wins.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Does this apply to me too? In exchange you can use my GTI over here. No other services will be rendered though...

It's all to do with spec and amount produced. You can pick up a standard gti mk4 for a few hundred quid, or even a tdi, but you look at the price of the mk4 anniversaries in either petrol or diesel and the price rockets, and they're a 14 year old car now.

PS comparing the mk4 to a lupo gti is ridiculous anyway. In fact comparing a lupo to a lupo gti is pretty silly. If it's got full service history you've got little to worry about.

I paid £1,850 for mine in Janurary, 2002 6 Speed on 129k in really good condition.  It's now on 142k, just had the clutch done this week and the garage said that it still had its original one in.

Having driven a MK4 1.8T and owned various other Lupos and Arosas, they don't compare. It's a car truly in a class of its own, they drive and handle so differently too.

Some of the key differences too between a normal Lupo;

Hydraulic clutch, 6 Speed, aluminium doors/wings/bonnet, spoiler, wider arches all round, bigger brake(5mm wider than a sport), red seat belts, sports seats, 8 speaker system, alarm, black headliner and trim, centre exhaust, different bumpers, aero wipers.

Theres probably more that I've missed, but it really is a different car to drive and be in.

Plus, price aside, if you want one they are only going to keep their value as they become more sought after, so it's more of investment really!

• 4 weeks later...

If I see anyone coming down on the side of the MK4 over the Lupo GTI, regardless of any backing evidence, I'll ban you.

Apart from Raven Lupo GTIs; we all know they are slower.

These posts on ClubPolo say it all...

Capture.JPG

:lol::lol::roflmao:

On 26/08/2016 at 2:43 PM, jon_273 said:

Does this apply to me too? In exchange you can use my GTI over here. No other services will be rendered though...

Which fleet car do you want to borrow ?

18 hours ago, Silver! said:

If I see anyone coming down on the side of the MK4 over the Lupo GTI, regardless of any backing evidence, I'll ban you.

Capture.JPG

mmmmm... "special bispoke car" -_-

On 20/09/2016 at 0:07 PM, Silver! said:

Capture.JPG

Yikes. :D

To be fair, on a track, the Lupo GTI would utterly destroy the Golf. They don't handle all that well.