Did any lupos have a spare wheel

Jordan55

9 minutes ago, Silver! said:

I bought a space saver and carry it on long road trips. Not sure if it will fit now I have 280mm discs though.

probably not.... I have a 14 space saver we put in, tried it following the 256mm upgrade to GTI brakes and there's around 10-13mm clearance between wheel and brake. I'm almost certain that with the extra width the 280mm carriers put on it will catch. 

2 hours ago, weslangdon said:

256mm were standard on the Golf Mk2 16v after the 1st face lift in 1987 so shouldn't be an issue with a 14" wheel but will require a bigger wheel for a 280 up grade

Yes, as stated earlier, there's a bit of clearance with 256mm brakes, but there won't be with the carriers required for 280mm discs. 

5 hours ago, cj1 said:

probably not.... I have a 14 space saver we put in, tried it following the 256mm upgrade to GTI brakes and there's around 10-13mm clearance between wheel and brake. I'm almost certain that with the extra width the 280mm carriers put on it will catch. 

On 3 August 2016 at 10:07 AM, Silver! said:

I bought a space saver and carry it on long road trips. Not sure if it will fit now I have 280mm discs though.

No it doesn't fit over the 280's! I had one in my old mk2 golf GTi which had 280's up front! When I got a puncture I had a right kerfuffle switching the wheels around to get the space saver on the back and the back wheel on the front where the puncture had been (it wouldn't have been quite so bad if I hadn't have already taken the punctured wheel off)?! 

• Like 1

That's what I assumed. Took a spare Bathurst on my last Euro road trip in 2014. Seats flat and used a couple of heavy duty cable ties to hold it to the rear seat mount (seats flat).

Doing a long UK trip in a couple of weeks, may just take a full size again.

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/03/2016 at 10:07 AM, Silver! said:

I've had this problem before.

You can put the spare on the rear, then put the rear wheel on the front. It just takes longer.

• Like 1