Steering Feel?

Optimus Lupo

Hello, just bought my first Lupo Gti and i love it. The engine is spot on, pulls well, revvy, love it.

My main question is on handling and steering feel, the Car is 2004 with 100K on the clock. It leans quite badly in the corners and the steering feels a bit sloppy and dead.

Presumably it wasn't like this from the factory? what can i do to sharpen it up, and is it possible to make the steering more precise, maybe even remove the power assistance?

Thank you.

Hello and welcome aboard!

Bear in mind that the car has done 100k miles on that suspension, its probably worn out! Could have worn track rod ends too, wheel alignment out, worn bushes, it will all add-up to a poor ride and bad handling, so either replace with OE stuff or swap to a good set of fixed shocks and springs, or coilovers, all dependant on your budget I guess!

I'd get your alignment sorted. The amount of people who never get it sorted when in reality, you really should get it done once a year.

Ok I have found out a bit more now, it has really cheap tyres on it and they are 195's as well, I am going to get Toyo 205's put on it tomorrow.

i am guessing the bushes are worn because if I brake hard into a round about the car seems to squirm even in a straight line! I guess this isn't normal?

so if I need to re-bush the suspension should I go for poly bushes or stick to the OEM rubber? I'd love to have more control but I don't want it to become so hard it flattens bumps rather than drives over them:wtf:

i had an Elise and I don't know if someone had altered the suspension but seriously in the wet, down a bumpy road, it was one stop short of terrifying!!!!

thanks for any help.

195/45 tyres are great if you get good rubber and you get a lot more choice. I done a lot of research a couple of years ago before a European 3,242 mile road trip through the Pyrenees  and went for Vredestein Sportrac 5.

I found/find them really great and have pushed it pretty hard. My alternative choice was Uniroyal Rainspot 3s.

Apparently, the bushes on the beam and wishbones are quite stiff as standard OEM. So there may be not a lot of point in poly bushes. That said I have a set in my attic for when mine need doing.

A set of KW V1 coil overs is a well recommended upgrade, but a good fixed Spring/shock set up from the likes of Bilstein will be a great upgrade if you don't want to play with ride height.