First Lupo GTI, few issues

Just got my first Lupo, 1.6 GTI and there are a couple of issues could use advice of people with experience with these cars

1) The alarm goes off when I start the car up, and it remains on sometimes for 5 minutes after even when I drive away. I was thinking at first it was maybe a battery issue as when I first turned it over it had been lying for a while, but I took it a decent run the other night late on and it happened again in the morning. Is there a common fault/easy fix? Not keen to switch the alarm off altogether but it is an option, is there a fuse I can remove to turn the siren off in the meantime?

2) There's some noise coming from the belt/pulleys on the left hand side of the engine bay (Auxiliary belt?). Sounds like the water pump possibly, not sure when the belt was last replaced, theres 114k miles on the clock. Should I replace the belt(s?) at the same time as the water pump.

I'm not really that great with cars but the reason I've got the car is to fix up and learn a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

whats the voltage across the battery when you start the engine, it could be it dropping, if it holds a nice healthy 12v while cranking then the battery is prolly ok, if it drops below 10v the battery could be knackered and the alarm is sensing a battery disconnection

• Like 1

On July 11, 2016 at 0:37 PM, Skezza said:

I'm gonna put my neck on the line and say battery, despite your drive, it could be absolutely nailed.

On July 9, 2016 at 4:06 PM, Mobieus_uk said:

whats the voltage across the battery when you start the engine, it could be it dropping, if it holds a nice healthy 12v while cranking then the battery is prolly ok, if it drops below 10v the battery could be knackered and the alarm is sensing a battery disconnection

Cheers to both of you, it's pointing to the battery I think too. 

any recommendations for a good battery?

2 hours ago, Scarytoes said:

Cheers to both of you, it's pointing to the battery I think too. 

any recommendations for a good battery?

Depends if you want to go cheap or not. Personally, I recommend Exide as I've always had good experiences with them.

In the mean time, you could try and refurbish your current battery using some epsom salts. It's not overly complicated, although Lupo batteries are sealed for safety when jump starting, so avoid jumping it off another car, but it will help your current issue and maybe get another 6-12 months out of it.

8 minutes ago, Skezza said:

Depends if you want to go cheap or not. Personally, I recommend Exide as I've always had good experiences with them.

In the mean time, you could try and refurbish your current battery using some epsom salts. It's not overly complicated, although Lupo batteries are sealed for safety when jump starting, so avoid jumping it off another car, but it will help your current issue and maybe get another 6-12 months out of it.

I'm happy to spend the money on a good battery. I won the car believe it or not so happy to spend some coin to get it in good order. The alarm going off at random times when I get in it could be embarrassing as f.. 

Particular model of battery?

10 minutes ago, Scarytoes said:

I'm happy to spend the money on a good battery. I won the car believe it or not so happy to spend some coin to get it in good order. The alarm going off at random times when I get in it could be embarrassing as f.. 

Particular model of battery?

If you type your reg into CarParts4Less it'll show you the types. I always recommend Exide, simply because I've only ever had good experiences. That said, Varta are always good. I would personally avoid any of the really cheap ones if you're actually willing to spend money. I don't believe in buy cheap, buy twice, but I think for batteries, it's probably as close as you'll get to being true.

18 minutes ago, Skezza said:

If you type your reg into CarParts4Less it'll show you the types. I always recommend Exide, simply because I've only ever had good experiences. That said, Varta are always good. I would personally avoid any of the really cheap ones if you're actually willing to spend money. I don't believe in buy cheap, buy twice, but I think for batteries, it's probably as close as you'll get to being true.

Thanks buddy, will let you know what I go for and how it pans out on here

I'm pretty sure all GTI's use a 61Ah/300Amp battery, VW sell two types, the factory fit oe version and what we call Economy or 4+. The difference is pretty small between the two, the Eco one is made for cars over 4 years old to try and help keep maintenance costs down, but its the price that's the main difference!

OE battery - 000 915 105 DE - £121.33 inc vat

Eco Battery - JZW 915 105 - £84.83 inc vat.

They both come with a three year warranty, the eco one is made by Exide, pretty sure the OE one is made by Varta

58 minutes ago, lupogtiboy said:

I'm pretty sure all GTI's use a 61Ah/300Amp battery, VW sell two types, the factory fit oe version and what we call Economy or 4+. The difference is pretty small between the two, the Eco one is made for cars over 4 years old to try and help keep maintenance costs down, but its the price that's the main difference!

OE battery - 000 915 105 DE - £121.33 inc vat

Eco Battery - JZW 915 105 - £84.83 inc vat.

They both come with a three year warranty, the eco one is made by Exide, pretty sure the OE one is made by Varta

Both are excellent makes, but those prices :o 

11 hours ago, Silver! said:

I got a Bosch Silver Top top spec for the GTI for about £80 delivered.

If I had a GTI, I'd experiment with Super Caps seeing as the weight saving would be pretty significant.

Have you checked the key fob battery, as these can affect the alarm going off, if there's a partial implausable signal from the remote when you press the button. Change the remote battery as matter of course too!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skezza said:

If I had a GTI, I'd experiment with Super Caps seeing as the weight saving would be pretty significant.

...but is it silver?

5 hours ago, Lupoboz said:

Have you checked the key fob battery, as these can affect the alarm going off, if there's a partial implausable signal from the remote when you press the button. Change the remote battery as matter of course too!

Problem with that is its a replacement key rather than the original, I did think of this but the key can't be opened to change the battery?