Spluttering between 1000 & 2000 revs 1.0 lte

My X reg 86,000 mile 1.0 auc engine lupo splutters as said above. It has had a recent cam belt, clutch, new HT leads, new thermostat housing including coolant sensor, water pump, new coolant, new plugs last December, new air filters last December.

the engine check light is on which says that p404 exhaust gas circulation .... Which I cannot get to turn off. I bought a replacement egr valve from eBay which was fine for about 4. Months then the light came back on and has been on since.  I have used a can of egr cleaner into the carb and taken the tube off from the egr valve to the carb and totally cleaned it out as well.

Recently, i did have a misfire on cylinder 2 which, when I swapped the plugs round and transferred to cylinder 3 the fault went with it, so changed that plug for a new one. On the old plug The bit of ceramic that goes round the central core had disintegrated upon inspection. And it looked very oily but I put this down to a dodgy coolant sensor which was allowing the car to think it was still cold and running it with more fuel than needed. A New spark plug got rid of this misfire code.

The spluttering happens when putting the car under load  between 1-2k revs

can anyone give me any suggestions as to why this is as it is beginning to get annoying and I've spent a bit on it recently and would like to get it running smooth.

thanks in advance for any help 

Edited by Davedex

I bought a 1.0 lupo about 2 years ago cheap as it had a similar problem and the lad also spent a small fortune and turned out all it was is he put the ht leads on wrong so many you don't have 1 and 2 mixed up, 2 and 3 or vice versa worth trying anyways since it's free :) 

Thanks for the suggestion, when I fitted the new HT leads I did it one at a time and then checked it against another lupo with the same engine so pretty sure they are on the right way. If they were wrong it would splutter throughout the whole rev range wouldn't it?

No problem and yeah it probably would you not got a diagnostic to get any codes ? As others would probably be able to help you more or have a better understanding as to what it could be 

On the way home tonight I plugged the  obd code reader in and when it was spluttering it brought up an error code about a crankshaft sensor but when I got home and turned the engine off the error code disappeared from my phone. I went back out to try to get it to do it again but couldn't get the error code back! Will try again on my  next journey.

it seems as if it splutters more when the engine is warm, although I might be imagining this, again, will check over weekend.

Use vcds for code reading as it picks up stuff cheap generic one will miss (just in case you arent using that for code reading).

Read and clear codes then see what comes back.

If you have a misfire detected, it's always a good idea to do a compression test, (£20 for the kit). 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Have just renewed the coil pack and it still seemed to splutter, and misfire still detected on cylinder 2with my OBD plug in reader. Whipped out the spark plug and it looks very black and sooty/ oily.  Cleaned it up and it appears to be running smooth again. Had only cleaned it about 4-6 weeks ago.

Might take off the new coil pack and take it back ( putting old one back on) as it was not this which was the problem I think, instead the dirty plug.

probably need to take it to a garage that can investigate why plug 2 keeps getting sooted up.

unless anyone else has any other suggestions?