Help!!

daisylupo

I have a 1.0 02 plate lupo. When I try to put the car into any gear it's very heavy and stiff. This happens when the engine is off or on. Does this mean the gearbox has gone? And how much would be a replacement? 

What is very heavy and stiff? The clutch pedal or the gear stick?

if it's the gear stick then it might just be the mechanism under the gaiter and/or the cables need lubricating or replacing, or the selector mechanism on the back of the gearbox. If it's all gears engine on or off then this is probably the problem.

Go to Halfrauds, er i mean Halfords and find their wd40 lubricant such as this one: http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/lubricating-penetrating-oil/wd-40-smart-straw-aerosol-400ml

Lift up the gear stick gaitor (the baggy thing that hides the mechanicals) by prising up and lifting the ring thing at the bottom of it. Squirt wd40 liberally in the mechanicals under it and wiggle the gear stick, squirt some more.

if that made bugger all difference then pop the bonnet and look down the back of the gearbox for 2 fat cables that operate your gear selector, and spray the cable ends and the mechanism they operate with yet more wd40. Wiggle gear stick, spray some more.

If you are spraying the right bits and it makes little to no difference then the cables might be knackered.

Wd40 doesnt like being sprayed pointing up or down much, so if nothing comes out, fire it horizontally briefly then fire it down again. Wear some old clothes if trying this would be best too. 

I imagine there is, however the car has been sitting for a year so there's a possiablity that the oil has just sat at the bottom and the components inside has seized? 

Personally I'd do the obvious thing and disconnect the cables from the gearbox itself, if it's still stiff then you know it's contamination in your cable sleeves or the shift assembly in the car, if it goes free as a bird you know the issue stems from the gearbox end.

Well he said the gear selector has gone, instead of being next to the gear box he said its inside. So we might as well change it and replace the clutch at the same time.