Dashboard lit up like Christmas tree

Got in my car this morning and started the engine fine, drove for no more than two miles and a beeping started, the abs light and the handbrake light lit up and then beeping continued, I've checked oil level and it's fine, can't see any obvious leaks however the engine light has now lit up also. Any help would be appreciated, trying to track down a obd reader.

Plugged it into obd reader and it's reading code P0600 - serial communication link malfunction . Related to the electronic control module and one of the supporting modules.

Why do I have a feeling this is going to be expensive trying to find the fault in the ECM 

Edited by iivsuperjay

Edit triple post :(

WTF, posting on the computer at work often results in double/triple posts, argggh. Serves me right for spending my time here when I'm supposed to be grafting...

Edited by JoeyEunos

Ill test the alternator at some point this week, however i got in the car yesterday morning and the light for engine management was still on but no beeping.. when i finished work the light had turned off and no beeping. its only beeped once in the last 50 miles. seems strange for this to just solve itself. 

31 minutes ago, iivsuperjay said:

Ill test the alternator at some point this week, however i got in the car yesterday morning and the light for engine management was still on but no beeping.. when i finished work the light had turned off and no beeping. its only beeped once in the last 50 miles. seems strange for this to just solve itself. 

beeping is usually a sign of the oil pressure being low, but the switches are notoriously unreliable.

Check your oil level though.