SDI Owners, A Quick Question About Oil...

JoeyEunos

I know the SDI's take 4.7l right? I've just bought two 4l pails of Castrol GTX 15w40 'high milage', purely as EuroCarParts listed that as being apropriate for my car when using the reg but I'm now thinking it might be too thick and that a 10w40 or 5w30 might be better... Am I right in thinking VW 501 01/505 00 is the spec I need?

As always, thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice!

The VW codes for the SDI engine oil are VW 505.00, 505.01, 506.00, 506.01, and 507.00

10w40 semi synthetic is probably the best for your engine, but the oil you have bought should be fine, perhaps change it for 10w40 just before next winter?

^ Firstly, thanks for the reply :)

I'd sort of planned to do just that (Changing to 10w40) before the weather got colder, and I'll probably opt for Castrol GTX again. I was just curious as to what other folk were using TBH.

I must admit that I find it slightly odd and off-putting that Eurocarparts list GTX 15w40 using my reg but not GTX 10w40 given that they're both VW 501 01/505 00 spec...

1 hour ago, Dubster said:

The VW codes for the SDI engine oil are VW 505.00, 505.01, 506.00, 506.01, and 507.00

10w40 semi synthetic is probably the best for your engine, but the oil you have bought should be fine, perhaps change it for 10w40 just before next winter?

No it's not :neutral: Semi synthetic is a cheap and lazy alternative nowadays and VW have updated their specs for Lupo's including the SDI to suggest now 4.7l of 10w40 fully synthetic in hotter climates, 5w40 fully synthetic in all weather and 5w30 fully synthetic in sub-zero temps. Why use semi synthetic when you can get all the goodness of fully synthetic?

As I suggested in the PM Joey, 5w40 fully synthetic is the best for England and the SDI. I also wouldn't put anything expensive like Castrol in. You're throwing money down the drain in my opinion. There's no turbo or anything like that. Decent fully synthetic will piss all over expensive semi synthetic imo.

Check your coolant as well. Do all the important things.

^ Thanks fella :)

FWIW the Castrol GTX is actually a semi synth and not that expensive TBH, however I'll follow your lead and use 5w40 in future. I'd imagine I'd be safe using the 15w40 for this summer though? I only ask because I've bought it and I'm bloody stuck with it now -_-

30 minutes ago, JoeyEunos said:

^ Thanks fella :)

FWIW the Castrol GTX is actually a semi synth and not that expensive TBH, however I'll follow your lead and use 5w40 in future. I'd imagine I'd be safe using the 15w40 for this summer though? I only ask because I've bought it and I'm bloody stuck with it now -_-

A hot summer yeah, but I wouldn't like to use 15w40 in a colder climate.

Thanks again chap!

I'm thinking I might stick it in and run for a couple of hundred miles on it and then drain it and re-fill with something thinner, thus using it as (Albeit rather expensive) engine flush. Can't stand the idea of wasting/not using it TBH!

• 4 years later...

Thicker means runs slightly quieter at the expense of more viscous oil = slightly reduced engine efficiency. Thicker also maintains a surface oil film for longer on a bearing journal, reducing chances of metal to metal contact. Makes engines last longer. In a nutshell, thicker oil squishes out of the way more slowly compared to runnier oil. But only a by a little bit. It's the additives that make all the difference to good or cheap oil. 

When it does matter though is when extremely cold. The oil 'snaps' like brittle plastic when shear forces are high, at high RPMs and cold oil. It doesn't flow.

On 7/15/2020 at 2:14 PM, Martins SDI said:

I use 5W40 since my car was new.

A rare owner who still has the same car for 20-odd years. Would love a full list of SDI things that have caused problems or needed extra attention since new.

13 hours ago, mk2 said:

A rare owner who still has the same car for 20-odd years. Would love a full list of SDI things that have caused problems or needed extra attention since new.

The car itself is an Ibiza 6K2 SDI, but I have had it for 17 years and over this time I have invested a lot in the car. To give you an idea, at this point the car already has practically all the extras that came out for this model (and some that didn't, but that I adapted from other VAG models) and it looks like a Cupra R. it has 280mm in the front and disc braking in the rear. It has a Cupra suspension, with new shock absorbers, bushes, synoblocks, etc., all new. It has an interior upholstered in leather / alcantra, AC, which has already been adapted by me, immaculate painting, etc., etc.

This car never gave any major problems, just problems related to normal wear of the parts. I already  replace bearings, driveshafts, clutch, bushes, engine mounts, shock absorbers, alternator, etc. But engine or gearbox was never open for repair. 
Edited by Martins SDI
  • Like 1