OIL LEAK - Advice please

Does anyone know what this oil leak could be? I thought it was coming from the nut but looks quite wet at the back of the picture too, its not leaking a major amount, but I need to try and diagnose what it is asap.

Thanks in advance.

Leak.jpg

im guessing gearbox? have you got any more pictures?

Thanks for the reply bud,

I haven't got any more yet, I cleaned up the area as best I could yesterday, will check again this evening, to see where exactly its coming from. Replacing the gear box looks like it might be a pain as I have had a look around and cant see any 6 speeds for sale anywhere :(.

i know the selector seals and drive shaft cup seals are prone to going on them, you could get a rebuild kit and have a play yourself?

Yeah clean that all off and around the selector seal and go a for drive and have a look see again.

Although zooming that photo it is wet on the joint between the gearbox casings (end cover?), the bolts gets it worse as it is the lowest point. Have a look higher up the gearbox for any wet too.

Edited by Sausage

As said, selector shaft seals leak the moment they are driven from the factory, those are the words from my dealers... And the gear box end caps also perish, one went on mine and inside it you could see how it had attacked the vw stamp in the metal.

Awesome advice, thanks guys... 

So I got back today and had a look from the top of the engine, all looks good from top, it seams that it is leaking from the area in the attached.

2.JPG