Whining Noise when Accelerating

I've noticed a whining noise that sounds like its coming from the engine bay. I noticed it when driving back form Oswestry, having been driving for around a good hour or so.

whether this coincides with if I'm driving for more than about 40 minutes, it gets really difficult to put into gear, I'm not sure. I took it to a garage who said my clutch cable was stuck and needed freeing, but said they wasn't able to do it as it was a big job. I've been told that if you have a reasonable amount of skill, you can take the entire gearbox out on a drive...? I'm not up to that standard, but I just wondered if anyone else had had these problems, and if so, what was the cause and what was done about it? 

Thanks,

Myles. 

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/33400-the-definitive-pedal-box-thread/

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/41812-the-definitive-gearbox-thread/

Your clutch cable problems might be the pedal box or it could just be the cable is about to die. if it is the cable that is easy enough to change.

With difficult gears and now some whining then 1st thing is to check the gearbox oil level and condition. Personally i'd drain it and see what condition and quantity of oil comes out. The drain and fill plugs can be stupidly tight so use a good tool and take the precaution of undoing the fill plug 1st because if you cant undo the fill plug then you still have a drivable car.

I replaced the gearbox oil about a month ago now, putting in what came out (just above two litres). 

As for the clutch cable, how do you replace it?

Thanks,

Myles.

If you need the car on the road asap then find a good second hand box (check the gearbox codes to get suitable gear ratios) and fit that. You could then choose to open your box and see what the problem is, chances are it is the output shaft bearing that can be had for a few quid, you will need some tools and ingenuity to remove and fit the bearing or take it somewhere to get it done for another few quid.

If it has just started whining you could try slightly thicker oil than specced and see it that shuts it up and also over fill it by 300 - 500ml. This will be a temporary measure, but could buy you some time.

Edited by Sausage
fat fingers

I have little to no experience with this sort of thing, so I think Im going to source a second hand box and get the garage to fit it with a new clutch and bearings. I need it on the road, but I'd rather have it sorted properly than me do something and then mess it up even more.