GTI Headlight washers - how do I remove them?

AC & SONS

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I know this is an older topic but does anyone know where I can get the bracket that the headlight washer screws to that attached to the back of the front bumper?

ive bought a new front bumper but it doesn't have the bracket that the washer screws to.

• 2 weeks later...

If you mean the part highlighted in yellow in the image below, you can get them from VW, 6E0 955 159 £11.65 inc vat each, however, VW UK only have one in stock in the warehouse at the moment.

LUPOHEADLIGHTWASHERS.jpg

• 1 year later...

A question related to this:

Activating the headlamp washers, I get water hosing everywhere - onto the headlamp, up the bonnet, sideways etc. Its an effective water cannon. Minimal fluid going onto the screen itself from the screen jets, especially drivers side.

Am I correct this is unrelated, as there are separate pumps for screen and headlamps? Screen washers could be partially blocked, or pipework is leaking, although I can't see washer fluid pouring out.

Headlamp washers don't leak when retracted. Is the fluid going everywhere more likely to be split components, or the o-rings?

Great write up on maintenance. I am really not looking forward to dismantling these.

Edited by Chris-M

• 3 months later...

Now the Zen moment has worn off....

I have two new bits - 1 & 2 in the drawing above. Reading through, these are pulled back into part 5 by a spring? I see no spring on the drawing. I assume it hooks onto 1 & 2 somewhere? I have not attempted to get the old ones off the car yet.

The spring is internal to the "lifter" item 5.

Items 1 & 2 slide into the lifter, you should see notches going up their shaft - this is for a plastic clip on the lifter that allows adjustment of the height of the bumper.

You need to be very careful with the clip - warm water may help soften it - if you snap it off you will need a new lifter, if you are lucky you find a good used one. If you are unlucky - a lifter is around £70 new from VW.

If you mean their design - No

If you mean that they get brittle and like to break - Yes.

Seem to recall someone on here tried gluing his in after snapping their ones - The next time the headlight washers came on whilst driving, his covers with jets attached flew off over the windscreen, never to be seen again!

It will make more sense when you go in there - I would suggest a bit of pre-inspection before starting the work, you can pry the jet cover up and extend the lifter to have a look

The nearside headlight washer jet on my GTI comes out fine and sprays water onto the headlight, however, sometimes it does not fully retract and stops about 1cm from being seated flush in the bumper. If I apply slight pressure to the circular plastic cover the mechanism fully retracts.  Is the likely fix a new lifter (part no 5 in the diagram) with all the associated hassle that brings or does anyone have any suggestions with regard to the existing lifter.

6 hours ago, Grumpy said:

The nearside headlight washer jet on my GTI comes out fine and sprays water onto the headlight, however, sometimes it does not fully retract and stops about 1cm from being seated flush in the bumper. If I apply slight pressure to the circular plastic cover the mechanism fully retracts.  Is the likely fix a new lifter (part no 5 in the diagram) with all the associated hassle that brings or does anyone have any suggestions with regard to the existing lifter.

I would expect replacement to be a certain fix, but try lubricating the lifter first before stumping up for a new one.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:02 PM, LR5V said:

I would expect replacement to be a certain fix, but try lubricating the lifter first before stumping up for a new one.

Bingo! I lubricated the lifter and its fully retracting every time now. Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1