Battery Light Flickering. Battery Draining. SEAT AROSA.

TonyBeacock

Hi,

The battery light keeps flashing on the dashboard of my 1.0l SEAT Arosa and then the battery runs dead after a few days, sometimes less than a few days if driving just in the day with no lights on. I am unsure on why it is doing it, as I have changed the alternator and bought a new battery. I have had a mechanic and an auto electrician look at it and they are clueless.

Any ideas? 

Thank you!

Thank you for your reply Sausage! It is a reconditioned Bosch alternator that has been checked by a mechanic and an auto electrician, so I am doubting that it is the alternator. But I will double check it by the tests on the website that you have linked me.

If it's not the alternator, do you have any other ideas?

If the alternator is working and delivering a steady charge to the battery, then the battery light should not be flickering. 

Have a close look at the fuse block connected to the + terminal on the battery, make sure the metal isnt cracked, flip it open and check the alternator connection and fuse, make sure it's tight and the fuse isnt cracked. Test for continuity back to the alternator and check the connections that end are good.

Edited by Sausage
need new keyboard

flickering alternator warning light is normally, faulty diode in the alternator diode pack, the flickering will get faster with engine speed, The voltage will llook ok but you won't get full current and the battery will be discharged via the leaky diode over time.

It might be the regualtor but that should show up as low voltage,

Digital volt meters aren't good for this sort of thing you need an old AVO or an osciliscope to look at the DC voltage wwaveform.

This may well have slipped through quality control if they don't do a full load test on the alternator.

I'm surprised your auto electrrican didn't suggest a load test it's what you do if the volatges looks OK but you still have an output issue.

Definitely check the earth connections. Thought my battery was completely gone, wouldn't hold a charge for more than a day. But after removing and cleaning the earth on the gearbox, to do the clutch, its been spot on.