lupo GTI - steering column

andy4976

Morning all,

Looking for a little advice I've got an 02 plate GTI which has covered 85k, on its last MOT they noted slight play in the steering column, steering wheel has slight movement when moved up and down, but not side to side, I was thinking its the bearing thats worn within the ignition housing , but now not so sure, just about to order a puller to remove the steering shaft sleeve, but I have this feeling it's not the bearing as surely if it was worn you would have play with  up and down and side to side movement of the steering wheel, could anyone give me some pointers. I don't want to strip it down if it's something else, also struggling to get info on replacing the bearing only, my local vw dealer are not much help.

Many thanks 

IMAG2241.jpg

IMAG2065.jpg

Hello! If I recall correctly, this could be caused by the two sheer bolts that hold the column to the mounting bar, I'm sure my 6N polo did this. All the tech here did was remove the two sheer bolts and replace them with two allen key bolts, never had any movement after that. I'd be surprised if it was the bearing, as I would have thought you would have movement in all directions....

• Like 2

Hi m8

Thanks for the comments, shall have another look at it tonight, I'll try replacing the shear bolts first, hence why it's throwing me as you said, movement would be in all directions if worn..  def worth a try, many thanks 

The bearing at the top as shown in your picture is

1H0 419 335 - £4.18 inc vat

There is also a bearing further down

1H0 419 517 A - £4.24 inc vat

• Like 1