Tdi coolant temperature

I have noticed that since the weather has been colder my temp gauge only gets to 90 when I have been doing a bit of fast driving. 

Once I'm back in town and off boost, the temp gauge will slowly drop back down to 75, Whereas when it's warmer it will reach 90 and stay there.

is this normal behaviour or is my thermostat sticking open?

I dont know if that's normal as i havent driven mine enough to find out, but if you think it's overcooling a bit you could try blocking half the radiator with cardboard or something and see what it does then. You'd need to take it out when the weather gets warm though. 

When does the cooling fan cut in?

H'mmm, sounds like it's a bit cool then. Thermostat changed? If it warms up quickish it's probably OK but if you cant be arsed messing with coolant and thermostats this time of year then some cardboard will help for now.

There's a thread about grill blocking in this section btw.

20 minutes ago, pkrboo said:

Mine is doing exactly the same, gauge reads 90 but scangauge 2 says 75, i have blocked the lower grill but it hasn't made a difference. going to change stat this week and see how it is then.

Mine is the actual gauge that's changing. 90 when booting down the motorway but dropping to 75 when in town. But only since the weather has turned cold 

I'll repeat, if your temperature is dropping in town, that seems normal to me. 

By all means change your thermostat and housing but I'm convinced you'll be disappointed. Grill block if you're that bothered.

31 minutes ago, Skezza said:

I'll repeat, if your temperature is dropping in town, that seems normal to me. 

By all means change your thermostat and housing but I'm convinced you'll be disappointed. Grill block if you're that bothered.

Not bothered at all by it. I was just enquiring as to whether this is normal behaviour for the tdi, as it's a new car to me, :)

OK just took mine out for about 12 miles, mine goes to 90 then settles down to a steady 85.

And from previous experience If i leave it idling for long enough the fan kicks in, not sure how long but guessing probably 20 - 30 minutes from cold, i like to know the fan kicks in you see LOL.

Edited by Sausage
the usual reason.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wehey said:

Not bothered at all by it. I was just enquiring as to whether this is normal behaviour for the tdi, as it's a new car to me, :)

Yeah, very normal imo.