Arosa 1.4 TDI Speedo Not Working

Sarkie83

I've got a mk2 Arosa, which has been probably my fav ever car, but I've started to get a lot of things go wrong with it over the last few months...

One is the speedo not working.  It did start getting intermediate, then stopped completely

Plugged it into a code reading program on my laptop - no codes.  Also real time metrics would show rpm, etc..  but nothing for speed, so I thought it must be the gearbox sensor.  Got a replacement sensor from Seat which I managed to pull apart and drop into the engine bay - d'oh!  Bought another off ebay, and swapped it out as well as cleaning up the contacts - no joy.  Checked the gear that goes into the gearbox was still on it's shaft, and it was.  Took it to Seat and asked them to diognose what was wrong with it.  They said the dial cluster was faulty, and would be £450 off quid.  Told them to leave it alone, and got some 2nd hand dials off ebay.  Tried taking the old dials out and cleaning the contacts to the blocks at the back, made no difference.  Fitted the replacement ebay dials - and the same problem.  The rev counter, fuel, guage, etc... all work, but still nothing from the speedo.  They look like they are from a petrol model as they have the 7k rev limit, but if the rest work, the speedo should as well, right?

So now im kinda stuck - it MUST be the speedo sensor?  and I the ebay one, must have been a dud?

Pic of it in happier days:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://smg.photobucket.com/user/sarkie83/media/IMG_0023.jpg

Thanks,

Kieran

Edited by Sarkie83

You may have a bad connection between the sensor and the instrument cluster that's worth checking

There are testing procedures on You tube for both 2 wire and 3 wire sensors that you can follow to test your semsor

If your car uses CAN bus to feed the speed output to the cluster then will be a signal processor to add the speed signal to the data stream.

You need to be able to follow the wiring diagram to be sure of how it's set up.

I did have a bit of hope there, as I replaced the driveshaft on that side a few months back, and it made me wonder if i'd knocked something.  Took the grille piece off, and took a look.  There seems to be a earthing point above the horn (pictured).  Took that off/cleaned it up, re-fitted and tried it, but still no joy:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/sarkie83/A2BA2421-7C14-4056-9461-AE29EB648E68.jpg

I also re-tried the replacement dials and the originals again.  One other thing i did notice was that the fuel guage swings around a bit on both sets of dials (which in the past didn't happen), so there must seem be an electrical issue somewhere...

Voltage regulator comes to mind if your fuel gauge is all over the shop now. I dont know if the arosa / lupo uses one or not though on the clocks.

But as both clusters dont work properly and it was intermittent at 1st then it's probably something else. Lots of torch and mirror and multimeter time awaits you most likely... :(

Edited by Sausage

Found what i think is the wiring diagram for the cluster at: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=232621

Voltage regulator looks like part of the cluster.

I will at some point have a bit more of a dig/see if i am getting any signal from the speed sensor. Too fed up with it at the moment. Im wondering if the replacement dials are a red hearing/as they are from a petrol and i dunno if they should work on a diesel arosa?

• 2 months later...

Just to update this thread/provide an update:

There are three wires going to the speedo sensor on the top of the gearbox. The black one is supposed to be a 12v feed but it wasn't getting anything at all. I tired tracing it back as far as I could, but couldn't find a break.  In the end I just ran a new switched live to it and it's working again.

• Like 1