New radio

A good old China 2DIN. You can't beat them (well you can, but not for the money). I've had nothing but pleasurable experiences with China 2Din's, don't let the big brand morons put you off.

Your biggest challenge will be fitting all the wiring and gubbings and stuff behind the head unit, so I'll give you some tips to help you out.

Firstly imo, don't fit the rear camera, just isn't worth it, I mean we're talking a Lupo, if you do decide to fit it, I'd run the wiring down the DRIVERS SIDE, as opposed to the passenger side. There's a channel where you can run it free from any interference, which is where most of the wiring for the rear electricals runs.

For your GPS antenna, two options, you can drop it down the middle console, retrieve it at the bottom then route it around up past your pedals and up behind the dashboard. It's quite hard and stressful though, or route it via the passenger side which is equally stressful. Alternatively, route the GPS antenna under the cubby underneath the radio, bring it out and then run the cable under the dash that way. You'll have a small amount of cable exposed under the dash but you won't see it.

You're going to have a lot of excess wiring back there so you'll want to decide what RCA's you need carefully, if any at all. The more RCA's, more cabling, the less chance it'll fit nicely.

To make some extra space, the rear of the head unit bracket has a T-Bar going across it. You can happily break (cut in my case) this off using a dremel or brute force. It's only for the OEM radio and it doesn't really do anything. It's primarily there for the rubber buffer at the back of the OEM radio which sits in it, perhaps to reduce vibrations? The OEM radio will still go back in without it though, so I'd personally get rid of It.

Finally, forget using a cage, get yourself an FP-17-00.

If you want to fit it go right ahead, sometimes it's fun to do things for shits and giggles. Should be real easy on the Lupo as well :D

On 8 January 2016 at 0:57 PM, Skezza said:

I'd run the wiring down the DRIVERS SIDE, as opposed to the passenger side. There's a channel where you can run it free from any interference, which is where most of the wiring for the rear electricals runs.

The rear wiring all runs down the passenger side...

10 hours ago, cj1 said:

The rear wiring all runs down the passenger side...

Not true. The wiring for the micro switch and internal lights is run down the drivers side. Rear lights is run down the passenger side.

5 hours ago, Skezza said:

Not true. The wiring for the micro switch and internal lights is run down the drivers side. Rear lights is run down the passenger side.

In which case your comment wasn't true either.  "most of the wiring" does not run down the channel on the drivers side. 

Anyway, I'd have thought running the cables down the passenger side would be easier though as you've not got the instruments etc... in the way initially, and it's easier to get the trim off where the boot handle would be on the drivers side. Quite a bit easier, especially if you tie the cables to something a bit more substantial first, like an unfolded metal coat hanger, or a bicycle brake cable outer.