Things to look for when buying

SteveMcs

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

Going to look at a 2003 1.4s lupo this weekend, just wondering if there's any problem areas I should keep an eye out for. 

It's got 106000 miles, been lowered on coil overs (unknown brand), on lenso bsx (bbs reps), other than that it's standard. Got an engine management light on which they claim is lambda sensor and I'm taking a vag tester to check (they re cool with me testing it so probably not lying). Also it apparently takes 2 attempts to get in reverse but so does my current car so that doesn't bother me.

Any help appreciated.

Unless he's offering it for pennies, I wouldn't touch it. is it slammed? it don't do much good for the subframe or rest of the car for that matter. If it's just the lamda sensor why haven't they fixed it? I'm always suspicious when people say "eml light on, it's x, easy fix". If it's easy, fix it..... It'll be worth more when it's for sale?

Also an element of young lad, been thrashed about it.

Look for a standard and do it yourself. Plenty around at decent money.

Cheers for the help guys.

Don't really have much choice to finding a clean one as it's been offered as a straight swap for my current car 2003 1.4 megane. The megane has been a pile of utter site and I want it gone. It's just been problem after problem. I'd value my car around 500 ish so I guess you could say that's how much I'd be paying for the lupo. 

I'm not really looking to keep it long term just to have a bit of fun with for a little while.

I wouldn't say it's slammed, it's been lowered but looks as if you could still get your hand between wheel and arch - just!

As for lambda sensor, as I said I'll be taking the tester with my to clarify it is lambda and won't be touching it if is anything else.

Thanks again

On a car this old I'm thinking rust is your biggest enemy. There is the weak spot above the drivers door, in the wierd gulley type thing.

Also check the door check straps for snapping, although that's not a huge problem.

Ask if the pedal box has ever been fixed. Google this forum for details of the fault.

Hi everyone im new to the club!

I was just going to say that when i got my little lupo back in July, the lambda sensor was actually completely dangling from the manifold!  It didnt cause the engine management light to come on though throughout our 1hr drive back home from the dealer :huh: