Dan's Spanish Armada

Trx 33

Amazon kindly dropped me some goodies  yesterday 

image.thumb.jpeg.402304ee08ef8d9fa2280c7

Some wiring goodies, started cracking on today trying to make it as subtle as possible, nothing more unattractive than a big blue wire snaked around the engine bay. 

Instead of going the route everyone seems to take and push the wire through the main loom grommet, I got the Christmas tree but out and drilled a big fat hole in the firewall.

image.thumb.jpeg.9e6afc8d372dfc59e3e66c4

A nice tight grommet and some split loom later and it's in. 

image.thumb.jpeg.476da2e61e8851588ba3615

Quite chuffed with it, I am. 

Hoping to get it finished off tomorrow providing the weather says nice. 

Edited by Trx 33

Also why cut into a perfectly good bulkhead to run wire through a grommet you have to fit yourself when you've got a perfectly good one to go through with a hole already fitted from factory?

Step drill, Christmas tree bit, cone cutter. Whatever its called, its satisfying to use :D.

I had an OE grommet lying around and it fitted the 4 gauge perfectly. 

Being such a fat cable in comparison to the existing loom, it makes sense not to overstretch the standard grommet that was never intended to take such girth, it also makes the location which it enters the car less cluttered and easier to access from both sides of the firewall. I ran my 4 gauge through the loom grommet on my old silver Arosa and i was never satisfied how it looked, doing it this way was just neater. 

Well after picking up some wood and dodging the rain I got cracking 

image.thumb.jpeg.2bccf6798a6a4499d7d9b88

All in all it cost me £18.99 for MDF and 3 days after buying wire because I had all the hardware and equipment from my previous builds. Not complaining. 

image.thumb.jpeg.51ae3c9fc1dd8751b075872

Not the best picture in the world but I'm chuffed to bits how it came out. I'll grab some more pictures on a nicer day with the old DSLR. 

Yeah, just car audio carpet, bought it about 5 years ago for my first build and it's been lying around since, not too bad a match. When I can be bothered I'm going to do the seat backs as well. 

Yeah, I thought they were in pretty good condition if a tad mouldy but I washed them anyway and the amount of crap that came out of them was unbelievable, the water was running brown. 

I got them in an interior bundle way back when I only had the one car, from carpet to heading, cost me about £200. I think I've got another set somewhere because I'm sure my black one came with them too. 

• 2 months later...

Went to one of Northumberland's biggest car shows a couple of weeks back, spring cleaning, needless to say I didn't pick up anything in the show and shine :lol:

The obligatory show and pre show shots:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

In other less exciting news I have just received two rear arch liners, not at all inspired by mattarosa's thread, that are currently getting cleaned up ready for install. 

• 4 weeks later...

As i haven't updated in a while ill start with this. Sadly i sent my first car to the scrappers. She served me well but all good things come to an end.

27814158460_d73289a3bb_o.jpg

On to the diesel, a couple of pictures of the Lupo arch liners. not the best fit in the world but easy enough to do.

28703122582_3e0825671b_o.jpg

28731330711_cc5399ae30_o.jpg

28776725106_9ace9501ed_o.jpg

And, finally i have got my hands on a set of pressed plates after waiting an unnecessary amount of time, really cleans up the car without the GB bands.

28523973710_b03a78863d_o.jpg

28523970310_a6d6cebb0d_o.jpg

28776706226_f1df79b427_o.jpg

I also treated myself to some more cleaning goodies. Proper buckets and grit guards and some grape shampoo which smalls unreal.

28193125283_610f0acf93_o.jpg

On a side note, some people think using the 'two bucket method' while washing the car is a gimmick or is too much effort to be worth it. The amount of crap that you take off the car is quite clear when you empty the bucket, why people think its ok to scrub it all back into the paint baffles me.

28808377145_406bca1030_o.jpg

Hopefully in the near future ill get along to a bodyshop to get the rust on my rear arches repaired along with getting the lips rolled flat so i can widen the rear track.

Edited by Trx 33