LUPO GTI tyre size from factory

jparkes43

195/45 r15 is the best compromise. The OE tyres were Dunlop Sp2000 205/45 r15 and they are hard to get hold of. 195/50 r15 rubbed on mine on full lock with standard suspension...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I just read this about rubbing - my GTI came with 195/50/15 and they rub on lock in reverse. Always wondered what that was!

Opinions on how daft will it look with 50 at rear at 45 up front?

I'm looking at some Falken tyres in 195/45, but the rears are unworn - so am tempted not to just throw them away. Used to like the Falken 912 on my s16 pug - always seemed like a good budget sport tyre.

Glad I just read this about rubbing - my GTI came with 195/50/15 and they rub on lock in reverse. Always wondered what that was!

Opinions on how daft will it look with 50 at rear at 45 up front?

I'm looking at some Falken tyres in 195/45, but the rears are unworn - so am tempted not to just throw them away. Used to like the Falken 912 on my s16 pug - always seemed like a good budget sport tyre.

Not doubting you but can you explain? Surely it's pretty much all the same as the bigger they are the slower they will rotate no? Some cars have staggered setups? 

It all comes down to aspect ratios, the 50 in 195/50/15 is 50% ie the sidewall is 50% of the tyre width. The rolling radius calculator works out the effective rolling diameter of the tyre on the road, one of my cars has 205/50 on the front and 225/55 on the rear but the rolling radius was the same so it was OK.

I don't know of any road cars that run substatially different rolling radiuses, they may be out there

If you're going to run non standard tyres you need to inform your insurers.

I have bigger tyres on the rear of my Dune as they were good tyres available from a friend at a bargain price; 215\45\17 as opposed to 215\40\17 up front.

As they are just being dragged around, it's not that big an issue; but braking could be adversely effected if  you go to far oversized 2.5 or 3% is the  commonly stated oversize before braking is effected.

My Dunes are over and I reckon it does show when the car is fully laden and I need to pull up on the motorway.

Anyhow, for braking; you need to compare the new tyres to your original size, not the GTI. So 195\45 it should be.