Check straps causing vertical movement in doors? (fault finding)

So, I've been searching the forum and cant see this elsewhere, so let's see if anyone any experience of this issue. (Apologies if dealt with elsewhere - this is my first post)

The doors on my lupo have been cracking on opening/closing - I've noticed the plastic around the checkstrap pin was oblong - so I ordered the brass inserts. The other thing is that my doors have been moving up and down when opening and closing - not dropping as such, just an up-down, up-down movement (visible in the bottom door hinge) as the doors are opened/closed. Doors are still closing snuggly on the lock.

I removed my check straps and the doors weren't moving up and down any more. I received the brass check strap inserts and reinstalled the check straps - solved the cracking problem, but now the doors are moving up and down again.

My question is - is the vertical movement due to defective check straps? or have my door bottom hinges gone?

Any ideas? Cheers folks :wave:

Open a door and grab the back end of it and lift it up, any movement detected?

If it goes up and down you'll see it on the hinge pins most likely.

There's a small round cap on a small (5 or 6mm?) bolt on each hinge, pull off the cap and tighten it up to remove the play. Unless the hinge is really ****ed then that should be it sorted.

• Like 2