TDI engine oil

My mapped TDI is a bit tappy and i'll be doing a service on it, wondering what oil you would recommend for it?

I know 505.01 spec but 5w/30 or something else?

I found these earlier:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1217856599575w/30

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3905292377375w/40

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2520843074195w/30

I'd like to buy bulk for a better deal if poss, 20L or 25L but didnt want to get the wrong stuff LOL

Edited by Sausage

HC is cheaper than fully synthetic so it might have been that, but £12 is bargainlicious.

Anyone used the Mannol german stuff? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5W40-PD-ENGINE-OIL-VW-505-01-20-litres-Mannol-Energy-Formula-German-20l-4-x-5L-/261890025202

20L 5w 40 HC PD oil for £66.50 delivered

HC is cheaper than fully synthetic so it might have been that, but £12 is bargainlicious.

Anyone used the Mannol german stuff? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5W40-PD-ENGINE-OIL-VW-505-01-20-litres-Mannol-Energy-Formula-German-20l-4-x-5L-/261890025202

20L 5w 40 HC PD oil for £66.50 delivered

Not a clue if they're any good or not, the price is not bad. Don't forget, these Loops won't take the full 5 litres, so if you keep 4 bottles of excess, you might almost have enough for another oil change.

If you use an oil extractor you can suck out a bit more from the oil filter housing. I am pretty anal and even suck all the old oil off the threads. You can get loads out! And then with a couple of little top ups between servicing, I find there is not much left over from 5L of Quantum Platinum.

Also TDI's seem funny with their oil level. The like to sit at half way on the dipstick in my experience. After topping up, the oil level always seems to drop slowly, and then seems to settle out around the halfway point. That's purely anecdotal on behalf of me and a friend though.

If you use an oil extractor you can suck out a bit more from the oil filter housing. I am pretty anal and even suck all the old oil off the threads. You can get loads out! And then with a couple of little top ups between servicing, I find there is not much left over from 5L of Quantum Platinum.

Also TDI's seem funny with their oil level. The like to sit at half way on the dipstick in my experience. After topping up, the oil level always seems to drop slowly, and then seems to settle out around the halfway point. That's purely anecdotal on behalf of me and a friend though.

I don't like oil extractors. Maybe the ones that have been used are bad but on cars that they have been used on, when I have then serviced them the oil coming out of the sump tends to be unusually black. Does an extractor pull all that out too?

I like to pour about 1/2 litre of clean oil in when the sump plug is out and the oil has finished draining. It pushes more gunk and old oil out.

You can get more out with an oil extractor but you have to manipulate the pipe in the sump i.e. twist it a little bit. Just keep sucking until no more comes out. The one I have used the last 5 or 6 times works off an air compressor and has a venturi to create the vacuum, although I have just bought a manually operated one so will see how that performs shortly. In my opinion they are definitely the way forward for the TDi engine, the sump is a good shape for extracting all the oil and it saves having to remove the under tray! And also you can remove quite a bit from the filter housing like I said before.

The GTi however I tend to drop the oil out through the sump plug.

Done my oil change the old school way of grovelling around on the floor LOL, good idea on the extractor though as lots of cars have undertrays these days and make oil changes a pain in the ass especially when the sump plug is alloy and has already been rounded off.

looking at sealey tp69 or similar so far.

Edited by Sausage

Done my oil change the old school way of grovelling around on the floor LOL, good idea on the extractor though as lots of cars have undertrays these days and make oil changes a pain in the ass especially when the sump plug is alloy and has already been rounded off.

looking at sealey tp69 or similar so far.

That Sealey one looks really smart actually. I'm also a big fan of Sealey products. I bought one of their chain cutting tools and one of the discs chipped on the first use. I e-mailed them a photo and without hesitation they sent me a new chain for free. You can't argue with service like that.

I do like big vacuum extractors, I'm just not a huge fan of the fact they're usually low in capacity. 6.5 litres is obviously quite a lot more though, so that Sealey one is definitely a decent shout.

There's also this one :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-104616-Fluid-Extractor-Pump/dp/B003G2YV1I

Which is basically a rip off, of the PELA 6000. The two main criticisms being, it's only 4 litres and there's some sort of issue with the valve (I think it's put in the wrong way round from the factory) but once fixed it's very good.

Then there's the actual PELA 6000 :

http://www.seamarknunn.com/acatalog/pela-vacuum-oil-extractor-pump-6-l-6567.html?gclid=CPa6q4Ptg8kCFcr7cgod3B4MBw#.VkDV8HzhBjw

More expensive, but higher capacity and probably better made than the Silverline.

Then there's a fake/unbadged Silverline.... which in itself is a copy of the PELA 6000 :D Who knows what they're like? Was tempted to buy one just for the lulz.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-L-manual-Petrol-Oil-Fluid-Extractor-Pump-Syphon-Transfer-Water-Engine-Vacuum-/191669644031?hash=item2ca066aaff:g:zLoAAOSw~gRV1vj8

Then there's the one I bought, basically the cheapest you can get, a 12v oil extractor.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRANSFER-PUMP-Extractor-OIL-Fluid-DIESEL-CE-MOTORBIKE-12V-DC-60W-Siphon-car-/251752818971?hash=item3a9da3291b:g:ScAAAOSw9r1WA8kp

Now, I know the idea of a 12v oil extractor quite make a few people cringe, especially as you're running it off your battery but a few points:

a. You don't have to run it off your battery, any 6amp battery charger will power it.... so basically any mains car battery charger that isn't in trickle mode.

b. As above, it's only drawing a maximum of 6 amps, so not a huge amount. It'll only take a few minutes to extract all the oil, so you shouldn't deplete your battery.

c. Seeing as the pump is separate, it can effectively shift an unlimited amount of oil.

Now I've used it twice, once on my gf's KA and on my Lupo.

Regarding the KA (Duratec engine), it's probably got the best oil filter location that I've ever seen (or at least on a car I've come into contact and serviced), it's just behind the lower part of the front bumper. You really don't need to get it up in the air at all, if you can extract the oil, hence the reason I bought the oil extractor. I would hazard a guess, that I (and therefore anyone) could service one in about 15 minutes. So it really was a case of, drive the car down to a flat piece of land, leave it to warm up a bit more, connected the extractor with the engine still running (although didn't put it into the dipstick just yet), stopped the engine and very quickly got the pipe into the dipstick and the extraction pipe into the bottle. I started the pump and it appeared as if nothing was happening at first but after a few seconds oil started gushing into the bottle. As a point, you do have to move the pipe around the bottom of the sump a bit. Every so often it'll seem as though it's stopped sucking, move it around, push down, pull up and all of a sudden more will come out. Eventually, you get to the point where no more wants to come out and you're pretty close to what you think is the right amount to have sucked out the car. At that point, I got the filter off which was in fact much harder than extracting the oil (was seized on solid). New filter on, new oil in. Job took about half an hour, but I wasn't rushing and had my missus telling me she was cold every 5 minutes. Car's been running fine since, but I always had this uncomfortable feeling that perhaps I didn't get all the oil out.... how would I know?

Now the Lupo is a different kettle of fish. For one, the oil filter is located inconveniently at the back of the engine. So, I did the same as before, sucked it out, moved the pipe around till it stopped. Whole process took, hmmm, I'd say 10 minutes at most. I'd say it's worth the extra time to avoid spills and what not though. Got the car up and got underneath. Now, I decided, seeing as I was underneath, to whip the sump plug off just to see exactly what came out. Fully expecting maybe a pint or two to drop, I put a drain pan underneath. Not a drop. Genuinely, not a drop. It was bone dry. I even gave it a few minutes to see if anything dropped and there was literally nothing. So, put the plug back in, filled up and off I went.

So yes, I can vouch for the success of a 12v oil extraction tool. I know the fact you're running it off your battery might seem dirty, but really, it's not a big deal is it? It's going to take a lot more than 10 minutes of a 12v extractor to deplete a car battery, unless your battery is ****ed to begin with.

My only, slightly negative comment on the 12v ones, is you're actually supposed to clean them with a quick splash of diesel. I've not done so yet and it hasn't broke, but I probably should!!

A video of one very similar to mine

Having watched a video of the PELA, it's probably faster than the 12v one I use. Still, less effort :P

Thanks for the infos, easiest oil filter is on the tdi, it's a cartridge filter right on the front of the engine pointing up at you. :)

Looking for a vacuum brake bleeder too btw. :lol:

Don't own a TDI, but I wish I did. Changing an SDI oil filter in the winter is like getting your nails pulled out by a set of pliers. Not fun.

Still, the KA isn't far behind. It really is just a case of kneel down twist, and it's done. I've lubed the gasket properly so it won't be seized next time it needs changing ;):D

On any TDi PD engine I stick with Quantum Platinum 5w40.

Never use the longlife stuff.

I just do 6k oil changes.

I go to TPS for the oil, filter, air filter etc. Much cheaper than VW of course.

I always use the old fashioned method too of sump plug removal. I always like to check for sediment, especially on my car as it's running so much power. I need to ensure it's in check all the time.

My car never consumes oil though which is always a good sign of course.

I think things like the Pela are good if you use them on a car that is new and are doing your own oil changes. The dregs of oil left in the car won't do any harm if you are changing the oil on a regular basis.