Emissions faliure-170,000 miles what could it be 1.4 100BHP

benters

The wrong sensor was supplied, 4 pin square, needed a four pin round despite them noting the car reg . . . .. Still now I have that I will fit it later. I asked the dealer to check if my car has one or two Lambda sensors and on my engine the AFK it has one. Not sure if this is common knowledge, but thought I would share just in case

Hi to all. . . in a word yes and no. The changing of the temp sensor seems to have made it idle slightly better but I haven't yet taken it back for a further test of its emissions. So it is ongoing !

I picked up another car of mine from the garage and got into a chat about the car, he ran his OBD tester and again it wouldn't speak to the ECU so that is the third gadget that wouldn't, this cannot be co-incidence which lead him to say he thinks the ECU is the issue. . . .

I suppose i am lucky not to have to rely on this car every day, but at the same time it means that i am slowly working through it rather than getting on with it.

Could it really be an ECU, after all it starts and when warm it runs fine. . .any one ??

In a word Yes and Yes.

The ECU will probably work fine even if the data port is not working.

The data port is not part of the core functions of the ECU, it's only fumction is to relay diagnostic data to the outside world.

Without codes from the ECU it's going to be difficult to get to the bottom of what's happening, if you can get a spare ECU its' worth a try.

any idea on the cost, and is it plug and play. . . is mine the ACK engine ?

worth a go, I will try. . . . those connections could be a bit scabby after all the miles !. . . . will report back. Cheers again

They're plug and play and on Ebay but you need to be sure you get exactly the right part number, There are a number of companies that do repairs, they also test for a fee, if your ECU is faulty then the cost of the test comes of of the repair cost, since your OBD2 port is probably not working testing might not be possible, worth a phone cal to find out.

Scabby connectors aren't likley unless it's got wet at sometime in the past, but you never know, a tin of contact cleaner would be a wise investment.

Sorry I should have been more specific, deppending on which imobiliser type you have, worst case you need the 5 digit PIN number that goes with the ECU loaded via VAG.com see the ROSS tech WIKI for all the nerdy details.

you're going to need to adapt it at least. Not easy on immo3, easy enough on immo2.

When I say clean, I'm talking dismantle....

blimey, this is sounding like deep deep witchcraft to me !

I haven't yet looked at the unit, presumeably it has a serial number on it somewhere to help with locating a replacement ?

TBH it's probably better to send ithe ECU away you can't talk to it, the cost of a test will be about the same as one from Ebay and at least you will know, if it comes back as OK fom the test then you know it's a sensor or wiring problem, if it can't be fixed they can probabaly provide a replacement with a warranty not something you can get on Ebay.

Thanks Carrera GT you're making a lot of sense there, plan to pull it off the car tomorrow. I notice you have the best colour combo on your GTI (in my opinion) I fancy one of those ! I assume you love it ??

Thanks for the good wishes, Yes it's a total hoot to drive and getting a speeding ticket would be very easy if you're not careful on the loud pedal, I've had much more powerful machines but the gti's are such good value for smiles per mile.

Just a few jobs to do, Replace suspension all round, Cambelts and dynamat the interior to make motorways less trying

http://s1218.photobucket.com/user/lupodriver/media/IMG_1115.jpg.html

here is the beast, if I have managed to link it properly