Newbie here! with a broken lupo! need some help!

joey95

Hi all! this is my first post on here! and needing advice already!

Just recently brought myself this! absolutely love it, BUT not actually driven it yet as brought it as spares or repairs and yet to fix it! it was heavily burning oil and knocking, the opinion is now that the engine isn't worth fixing, and the most viable thing to do would be to replace the engine, problem is its a sport, with the 1.4 16v AFK 100bhp engine, and its proven an absolute nightmare to source a replacement.

Ive been reading the forums and it looks like i can buy the 1.4 16v 75bhp engine and change some parts over (inlet mani, exhaust mani, throttle body, cam's & the ECU) and it should work, I can get the engine no worries, but want i need to know before buying it is that this is definitely the case and this is all i need to change on the engine? can anyone confirm this? is there anything else i need to know about the change?

Really want to get the car on the road now :(

Thanks in advance

Joe

https://www.gumtree.com/p/volkswagen/vw-lupo-1.4-sport-/1108215031

I'd put some thick oil in + oil fortifier in and ****ing thrash the arse off it till the engine dies :D

1.4 16v's are notorious oil burners. They're just not that good an engine in reality (ask Dblock, he's had one, I think). I always think with a car like this, the best you can do is hit it hard till it dies then maybe use it for a conversion like a 1.8T. ;)

Just your level of pikeyness.

Gearbox oil is clearly the way forward.

replacing the rings and bearings is the correct answer though,

You're right rich, except the op indicated that he didn't feel like repairing it.

I was thinking more 15w40 or 15w50. While you're right, it's pikey, it's a knackered engine?

15/40 does nothing.

oil fortifier does nothing.

gearbox oil does something.

I had a polo GTI which loved burning oil, I could leave blinding clouds of smoke behind me on a morning, absolutely comical.

It used so much oil I started changing people's oil for free.

I'd put some thick oil in + oil fortifier in and ****ing thrash the arse off it till the engine dies :D

1.4 16v's are notorious oil burners. They're just not that good an engine in reality (ask Dblock, he's had one, I think). I always think with a car like this, the best you can do is hit it hard till it dies then maybe use it for a conversion like a 1.8T. ;)

Agreed. The "sports" go through oil and petrol like it's going out of fashion. £10 says you will need a new gearbox soon too. Vw quality my foot.

My only feeling about using gearbox oil is that coming into winter you're going to get no cold protection?

You say 15w40 wouldn't work but 15w50 is much thicker than the 5w30 they recommend. I'd be keen to see how gearbox oil would do though.

Also, I disagree with your assertion that oil fortified doesn't work. On high mileage engines that burn oil, I've used forte a few times and it's reduced the consumption considerably. I always assumed it just thickened your oil a bit.

3 words. E P Ninety.

you're mental. Do people even use that in gearboxes anymore? I thought people used 80w90 in old golfs etc.