TDI air filter parts?

Sausage

My tdi has a cone filter (in bad shape) and the top part of the vw air filter housing is still under the arch. I want to revert to standard air box and stick a KN filter in it.

Pics.. (no laughing at the back)

DSCN4613.jpg

DSCN4610.jpg

(No, that's wd40... :lol: )

Pics of it look like this that i found:

http://www.partsbase.org/vw/lupo-lupo-3l-tdi-lu-eu-2001-12923-air-filter-with-connecting-parts-intake-connection/

But the lupo tdi pics i see seem to have an extra box in the engine bay like this:

DSC02599.jpg

What bits do i need?

From the diagram linked above it's just the air box and the pipe to the MAF, but what about this extra box thing that i keep seeing instead, is that a newer version of it?

I guess i'm asking how is your air box plumbed in? :D

Is there a diagram including that box? I cant find one.

here's the box for reference: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-cleaner-box-VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda-A2-8Z-Arosa-6Y-Polo-1-4-TDI-AMF-6N0129622A-/321872179575?fits=Model%3ALupo&hash=item4af113b177

Yeah, i'd get the bits used so looking at £25 the lot (plus filter on top) the car isnt worthy of many new parts :lol:

There's too much noise from the filter there, so if i cant find the bits to go original I'll route a hose down to the remaining air box half under the chassis and secure a large filter down there.

Edited by Sausage

• 1 month later...

Take one Ebay bargain new Renault 5 Turbo K&N filter.... £5 delivered!!

it measures 229mm x 127mm if i remember right.

DSCN4653.jpg

Make a top and bottom to seal it in the housing.

DSCN4654.jpg

DSCN4655.jpg

DSCN4657.jpg

Secure with.... with cable ties! I did double up so two on each hole in the end.

DSCN4658.jpg

DSCN4659.jpg

Buy 1 flexible 80mm air duct for £6.50 and hot glue some firm (kneeling pad stuff) foam in the end to reduce to a tight 60mm.

DSCN4667.jpg

Connect up to MAF. (fuel hoses are being replaced so wont be rubbing on the duct when that's done).

DSCN4668.jpg

Arch liner etc means it wont be visible anyway....

DSCN4669.jpg

I should have cut out the bottom end cap in the shape of the filter casing instead of the round one i made and used long screws to secure it, I'll possibly do that at some point.

I'll keep an eye on the air duct for holes but it will do for now.

Not bad for £12 though. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Money was the answer to that. it would have cost the best part of £100 to revert to stock and have a k n filter in there. I couldnt justify that on a car this cheap. Total spend so far including the car is just over £400.

Edited by Sausage
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Yeah i have noticed a distinct negative vibe about them. I think they should work if you wash and oil them, but then the renault 5 turbo filter i used on my TDI is the 1st one i have ever owned so i dont have a lot to back that up with. :D

Shame i just forked out for the used k&n now eh, instead of waiting to see what is in the filter box when it arrives tomorrow. :lol:

Didnt you have one in your SDI?

2 hours ago, Sausage said:

Yeah i have noticed a distinct negative vibe about them. I think they should work if you wash and oil them, but then the renault 5 turbo filter i used on my TDI is the 1st one i have ever owned so i dont have a lot to back that up with. :D

Shame i just forked out for the used k&n now eh, instead of waiting to see what is in the filter box when it arrives tomorrow. :lol:

Didnt you have one in your SDI?

Lol no chance. I won't touch any of those oiled filters. Time and time again it's been proven they provide inferior filtration to standard paper filters, and yet the research on their performance benefits isn't reliable either. So it's like a double kick in the face. Also the myth that bunging a K&N on your car will somehow make it go vroom vroom, is one that simply won't die. I'm still yet to see how an aftermarket air filter alone will provide any improvement over the stock air intake. You're more likely to lose power at least if my experience is anything to go by.

The only other tangible benefit that's listed is that they cost less over time and I dispute that as well. A genuine K&N for a Lupo SDI costs about £60. The K&N Cleaning Kit costs £13.49, so we're up to £73.49 right away.

A genuine Mann Air Filter for my car costs £9. So that's 8 paper filters we can buy for the same price as the cost of the K&N filter + the cleaning kit. If we follow the official Lupo service schedule:

The air filter should be replaced every 40k miles. Now I appreciate that's optimistic, but even if you change it every 20k miles that's 160k miles worth of motoring. 30k miles it's 240k miles and if you actually follow the proper schedule, 8 filters will last 320k miles.

Hence for me, the maths doesn't remotely add up.

Then of course you've got all the potential issues with filtration which I mention above but don't go into. We'll keep that for another day ;):D

I agree they are a rip off and the hype is quite likely just that, hype. Most research is biased anyway by whoever is set to gain from it, so all those glowing reviews and tests I take with a pinch of salt, same goes for the negatives.

What cleaning and oiling kit? :ph34r: I make my own.:lol:

I've only done about 400 miles in the lupo so i'll see what the score is when i take the filter off.

Another consideration is flow rate, can the paper filter work at higher HP (think double)? Probably as it's a big filter, but i'd like the headroom.

I would love to see some dyno figures. Paper filter vs cone filter vs no filter.

I reckon the numbers would roughly be the same, or maybe a negligible improvement with no filter.

I dont think the effective surface area of the paper filter will be anything close to the actual surface area as it's tightly packed.

I did rig up a test involving a vacuum cleaner, a restrictor and a carb balancer to measure air flow, the restrictor was to limit the airflow right down to the measurable range of the carb balancer which was 0-30 kg/h. I got it down to a steady 20 kg/h empty air filter case, the very dirty paper filter dropped it to 16, the k&n was 20 and so was the paper one when i had bashed it out and blown it off with air line. The low air flow required to get a reading didnt give any meaningful data as it was basically the equivalent of only low revs.

Edited by Sausage
spell check is misleading me