OEM shock + lowering springs

carrera-gt

Bad thing about lowering springs on standard shocks is that the shocks will wear out quicker, and while the ride is not as firm as with aftermarket, it's not as good either in terms of handling.

IMO you should be good with a set of Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs, although they aren't the cheapest option...

Bad thing about lowering springs on standard shocks is that the shocks will wear out quicker, and while the ride is not as firm as with aftermarket, it's not as good either in terms of handling.

IMO you should be good with a set of Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs, although they aren't the cheapest option...

Agree with the above, just fitted the B12 kit to my gti and the handling is spot on, and far comfier than the cheap coilovers that were on

In my opinion, the way you drive dictates the wear factor. More so than the spring size.

Can't see a 'wear out' issue all we are doing is moving the at rest position on the damper travel by 20 - 30 mm.

Agree Bilstiens would be nice but pennies are short at the mo, having said that fantastic on billard smoooth tarmac not so good on the average B road.

I assume his suggestion is that because the shock absorber will be absorbing more after installing lowering springs, they'll effectively fail quicker. It's utter tosh. It's all about the way you drive. If you want to trash a set of shock absorbers, stock or not, take your car to a humpback bridge and hit it at 60-70mph a few times.... you'll quickly have those shockers pissing fluid out.

It's a non argument as far as I am concerned.

the reason oe length dampers tend to fail quicker with lowering spring fitted is because the damper is partially compressed at the new ride height. this means that there is less travel when going over bumps before you are exceding the limits of the damper and hitting bumpstops etc. if you hitting bumpstops it is also not exactly great for handling as you get bump steer..

with shortened dampers such as the Bilstein B8 dampers (which you get in the Bilstein B12 Pro kit) you get the same amount of travel as oe but in a more compact body so that you can run at lower ride heights.

we have tested a GTi before and after fitting the Bilstein B12 Pro suspension and it gave virtually the same comfort as the standard setup down the farm track that leads up to our unit which is normally rough as hell.. have to say it performed great on the country roads too as the Eibach springs used are progressively wound so stiffen up for corners to give best of both worlds.

I assume his suggestion is that because the shock absorber will be absorbing more after installing lowering springs, they'll effectively fail quicker. It's utter tosh. It's all about the way you drive. If you want to trash a set of shock absorbers, stock or not, take your car to a humpback bridge and hit it at 60-70mph a few times.... you'll quickly have those shockers pissing fluid out.

It's a non argument as far as I am concerned.

Basically what Kam said :)

It's not that they absorb more with lowering springs, is that they are continuously absorbing. The rod inside the damper (metal part shown in the picture below) will be continuously partly compressed if you are using stock height dampers (B6) with lowring springs. By using dampers which are prepared for lowering springs (B8) this will not happen, so they will wear out at a normal rate.

T1EzFcFN0dXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_400x