Different colour xenons

So, one of my xenons has more of a bluey colour, while the other is white.

Do you guys think it's just a matter of different temperature colour bulbs? Or maybe something is old/broken inside?

Not the best of pictures, will try to do one in the garage:

015_08_30_04_zpsgs2bmova.jpg

Its usually a sign that a bulb is on its way out, I've had this on mine, the o/s one went yellowy, changed it and its back to normal now.

• Like 1

Its usually a sign that a bulb is on its way out, I've had this on mine, the o/s one went yellowy, changed it and its back to normal now.

Thanks! I was trembling at the idea one of the ballasts was on their way off, will try to get a look this weekend.

Am I right in thinking the whiter light is the OEM "colour" whereas the blue is not?

Yeah usually the bulb. Also potentially a sign of uhmm, cheap bulbs :P

Tell that to the previous owner :P

Yes probably just the bulb. P.S I'm in Geneva now, will have to meet up!

Will shoot you a PM and we'll go for a drink! :)

Edited by Blue Loop

Thanks! I was trembling at the idea one of the ballasts was on their way off, will try to get a look this weekend.

Am I right in thinking the whiter light is the OEM "colour" whereas the blue is not?

Tell that to the previous owner :P

Will shoot you a PM and we'll go for a drink! :)

Yes. OEM bulbs, I would imagine, are 4300k-5000k, which is a strong white light. That blue bulb is way into the region of 6000k and maybe heading up towards 8000k.

201205091717076274.jpg

This diagram should give you an idea on the Kelvin scale what temperate your bulb is running at. The more I look at it though, the more I think he's used a different temperature bulb, or a cheaper bulb. Worn bulbs quickly go pink, so if that happens you know the bulbs shagged, but otherwise it's probably fine.

There are some decent bulb suppliers coming from China, but you need to be careful which ones you buy. For me a sign of the quality is the base they use. There are plastic base bulbs, they're crap, they can actually melt in the worst cases but usually they just die quickly. There's metal base which are not the best, but they're better than plastic (I've had a metal base running now for the best part of a year), and there's ceramic which are by far the best (these are the kind you find in OEM).

eBay doesn't often have ceramic base bulbs so keep your eye out. Aliexpress is a good shout for them though.

Thanks skezza.

Will try to find some time this weekend to see if it's just the bulbs, I guess the Kelvins should be noted somewhere in the bulbs themselves. I will get two white ones in the future, as I like that better and the little OCD I have kicks in everytime it gets dark outside :lol:

Thanks skezza.

Will try to find some time this weekend to see if it's just the bulbs, I guess the Kelvins should be noted somewhere in the bulbs themselves. I will get two white ones in the future, as I like that better and the little OCD I have kicks in everytime it gets dark outside :lol:

the Kelvin are unlikely to be on the side. Plug them into the other side.

The standard Xenons on the GTI are 4300K

Thought they would be. Aside from being the least Barry, 4300k is also the maximum light output. Proving that higher the number, doesn't always equal better.

True. I personally find 5-7k a happy medium. Blue looks cool. Yellow lights are for French cars in the 80's lol.

T16 205 looked mint with yellows