Lets talk.. Exhuasts

jparkes43

Hello.

I have been thinking about making a louder sound to my Lupo.

I have for a laugh taken off my back box to see how it sounds but I have seen a midpipe delete tube. my question is would a midpipe delete with a back box be quieter than a midpipe with a back box. as I don't want it to loud.

james

generally the bigger the box the more noise it is absorbing, so removing the bigger box makes most noise. You might hardly notice the middle box missing.

You'll still need a tail pipe if you remove the back box though because of fumes.

Cherry bombs were popular when i were a lad LOL

Edited by Sausage

Just delete the backbox, it'll be plenty loud.

ok thanks

generally the bigger the box the more noise it is absorbing, so removing the bigger box makes most noise. You might hardly notice the middle box missing.

You'll still need a tail pipe if you remove the back box though because of fumes.

Cherry bombs were popular when i were a lad LOL

yes thats what i thought, ok if i wont notice it is missing then its pointless.

yes i had only run the car for a little while and have put it back since. i was going to weld up some pipe to exit near where original or central (gti inspired)

i had thought about a cherry bomb just wasn't sure about the sound etc

thanks all

james

Also just out of interest me and a friend was thinking about a side exit as thats easy to do from the back box connection point. but are these auctuyally legal and if so are there any rules etc.

So my options are

Mid pipe delete (almost a no no)

back box delete (side exit)

Back box delete (rear exit similar to original)

Back box delete (centre exit like sport) oval etc

Back box delete (some form of rear exit)

james

Edited by jparkes43

That's a great idea sausage! I was thinking if it was to loud just a form of straight through box for a small amount of noise reduction. and my dad has a friend who works at a tyre and exhaust place so that is a possibility! thanks didn't think of that. (for pipe) but I don't want to get a silencer that's going to make it quiet again ha h a

james

Box = silencer. you know that right... :yes:

yes i knew that.

So much talk about volume. No word about sound. Shame.

i think you have me wring here. my original post was that i don't want it to loud thats why i was thinking about removing the mid pipe because i like the sound of when i took my back box off but i wanted to know if a mid pipe delete was a good option but i have been advised that you would hardly notice a mid box delete and therefore i am going to do the back box delete.

yes i care a lot about sound. i don't want it too loud though. sorry i didn't mention the word sound but it was in my head.

sorry i often get misunderstood because of my bad description (i'm just as bad at talking in person ha ha)

and i don't want to get on any bad terms with any other fellow members because your all a great bunch so i'm sorry

james

Edited by jparkes43

So much talk about volume. No word about sound. Shame.

True dat, but most youngsters dont care about that until they have had their 1st annoying exhaust system, then they start to think what it sounds like and lots of noise isnt the best way to go.

A nice burble at idle and low revs, building to an angry rasp at higher revs, preferably outside the normal driving rev range. How to prescribe that over the internet I dont know, it's going to be a case of suck it and see I think.

I havent built an exhaust for years, best sounding one i made was on my orange Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport out of scrap slightly larger bore van pipe and a single medium silencer at the back, but that's too long ago to remember specifics.

Edited by Sausage

Agh another 'hes a youngster' post. i do care about sound ... seriously (thats why before anything i tried it out). i hate obnoxiously loud exhausts etc. you describe the perfect sound there sausage!

james

Edited by jparkes43

I can tolerate a loud nice exhaust note. I can remember being behind a gallardo once and it was so loud yet not annoying. Same day got stuck being a focus with a horrible exhaust which was horrible.

IMO a well designed exhaust system is what you want as it won't drone or be silly loud or have an annoying note. When you start just taking out silencers it can save hit or miss. Usually hit if you have a v8.

How much money have you got to spend? You don't need a big budget, £100 or less will do on a Lupo. Your not far from EMP Performance in St Albans. Pop in and have a word with those guys, they can make you up a custom system. That's where i get all my stuff done they are really really good. They have done all the work on my R32's system, their quality is flawless! They will modify your existing system if you want it to look stock but end up with it being louder if your up for spending loads. Usually taking out any silencer will increase the noise.

Check out their FB page with there work and pop in.

https://www.facebook.com/empperformanceexhausts

Thanks so much I had thought about exhaust been made but it sounds like these people do a good job for not to much money. to be honest I can spend at most a couple hundred pounds. I will take a look at them and maybe pop over and discuss the options. stock looks don't matter to much (depends how it will look) but thanks do much it sounds like a good option. I think I will pop over one day when I'm not to busy (at least then they can see the car etc.). and it will sound a lot better than just a simple back box delete.

James

Edit: looks like they only use stainless steel which is great!

Edited by jparkes43

• 4 weeks later...

I took the back box of mine and it sounded awful. I've got a stainless manifold, powerflow sports cat and powerflow midbox with a standard 1.0 backbox.

It's a bit blowy under load because I don't have a flexi, it's just spring loaded bolts.

Sounds pretty good when the blows not there. I'll be fitting a new back box soon hoping it'll change the note a bit.

It's all about the note and not the noise though. If you want noise take your manifold off.