Vagcom, clones, or something else? What lead and software do you use?

I have a couple of diagnostic leads, one of them reads VW and can clear codes etc, but I'd like dealer level stuff tbh.

I'll stump up for genuine vagcom if there are big enough advantages.

What do you use and what limitations are there if any? I dont want to buy a clone and find I cant do stuff with it (i know you cant update the software).

Cheers

I think the newer ones are for newer cars. But the eBay ones are all good. The drivers always suck though so try to source them from the internet.

The drivers are fine so long as you have a 32bit system. I've had VAGCOM running on Windows 7 and 8. Where it gets awkward is when you load them onto a 64bit system.

For that reason alone, my diagnostics laptop is a £30 Netbook. Old laptop, no real value, perfect for this job.

i run 64 bit, but can run a virtual machine at a push i suppose, or as you say get an old laptop, problem is all my old laptops have dead batteries so not much use in the car, plus i'd rather have it all on my main laptop tbh.

I looked yesterday on ebay and there arent any clones on there like there was a few weeks back that run full vcds, i was wondering if there been a clamp down on ebay or something as it was odd there was none except one £50 one, there was several £30 a couple of weeks ago, but it might just be poor timing on my part.

Edit: ok, just found this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Seat-Audi-Volkswagen-USB-CAN-BUS-DIAGNOSTIC-TOOL-/321852263471?hash=item4aefe3cc2f

I'll read up some more, but unless i can see 64 bit drivers I'll probably just buy a genuine one.

What version vcds are you running?

Edited by Sausage

i run 64 bit, but can run a virtual machine at a push i suppose, or as you say get an old laptop, problem is all my old laptops have dead batteries so not much use in the car, plus i'd rather have it all on my main laptop tbh.

I looked yesterday on ebay and there arent any clones on there like there was a few weeks back that run full vcds, i was wondering if there been a clamp down on ebay or something as it was odd there was none except one £50 one, there was several £30 a couple of weeks ago, but it might just be poor timing on my part.

Edit: ok, just found this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Seat-Audi-Volkswagen-USB-CAN-BUS-DIAGNOSTIC-TOOL-/321852263471?hash=item4aefe3cc2f

I'll read up some more, but unless i can see 64 bit drivers I'll probably just buy a genuine one.

What version vcds are you running?

I've explained in the other thread why you shouldn't buy this one. It may work with the Lupo, but I aren't convinced. It's a HEX-CAN lead designed for modern CANBUS vehicles, and they've backward ported the K-Line functionality. Very best case, it surprises me and works. Not so good case, nothing happens. Worst case, it shorts on your aftermarket radio and burns out.

Buy a 309.1 cable, I assure you. Expensive does not mean better.

Arent you limited to using VCDS Lite with your lead though?

I assumed k line support meant exactly that, k line support.

Here's the blurb on the genuine vagcom lead:

• Compatible with the latest cars that require a direct CAN connection
  • Intelligent Dual-K plus CAN to PC USB VCDS (VAG-COM) Interface
  • Works reliably even with difficult control modules such as the 1991-1994 1Z Audi TDIs
  • Instantly alerts the user if either the K/K1 line or the L/K2 line is shorted to Ground or Vbatt
  • Full support for dual-K lines found in new B6/8E chassis Audi A4 and 2002+ Audi A6
  • Fully backwards compatible with older cars using a single K-line or K plus L
  • Bi-Color (red/green) status/activity LED
  • 12 month guarantee against defects
  • Protocol timing indistinguishable from a real VAG/VAS tool
  • Acts as a dongle for VCDS (VAG-COM) software - no software activation required. Use on any PC.

Editing went to **** after that list LOL, so carry on here...

H'mmm choices choices, i'm not in a rush as my lead can read and erase codes and may even work with VCDS lite anyway (not tried that yet) in which case I already have a cheap lead LOL. Mines an ELM 327 type.

Will read some more, thanks.

Edited by Sausage

Arent you limited to using VCDS Lite with your lead though?

I assumed k line support meant exactly that, k line support.

Here's the blurb on the genuine vagcom lead:

• Compatible with the latest cars that require a direct CAN connection
  • Intelligent Dual-K plus CAN to PC USB VCDS (VAG-COM) Interface
  • Works reliably even with difficult control modules such as the 1991-1994 1Z Audi TDIs
  • Instantly alerts the user if either the K/K1 line or the L/K2 line is shorted to Ground or Vbatt
  • Full support for dual-K lines found in new B6/8E chassis Audi A4 and 2002+ Audi A6
  • Fully backwards compatible with older cars using a single K-line or K plus L
  • Bi-Color (red/green) status/activity LED
  • 12 month guarantee against defects
  • Protocol timing indistinguishable from a real VAG/VAS tool
  • Acts as a dongle for VCDS (VAG-COM) software - no software activation required. Use on any PC.

Have you ever actually used VCDS-Lite?

Quote from the Ross-Tech website:

VCDS-Lite is our low cost solution for older (pre-2006) VW-Audi Group cars that do not require a direct CAN diagnostic connection.

The fully registered version does pretty much everything the older dealers' tools could do on those cars, but even when fully registered, it will not have quite all of the functions that the full (non-lite) version of VCDS would provide.

So basically, VCDS-Lite is as useful as the tools that dealers used to use. The two important words there are 'used to'..... just like Volkswagen 'used to' to make the Lupo. There's very little in the newer VCDS offers that is even compatible with Lupo's. There's no CANBUS support, all the useful features you might want like 'Transport Mode' are strictly CAN+HEX cars only. The only things that are actually compatible with a modern VCDS are pretty much useless anyway like SRI (service reset interval) and graphical measuring blocks. Realistically, unless you're going to spending lots of time on it, I would just stick with a cheap cable. If you decide to move on from the Loop to a CANBUS vehicle, then fair enough.

Yes, but, (yeah but, no but) there's vcds lite free and there's vcds lite paid for, which would be the "almost vcds full version".

I.e there's lite and lite+ which you have to pay for as indicated in your copy paste

I'm sceptical about the clones anyway, and you're not helping reduce it LOL.

All the hookey vcds lite downloads i've looked at today have virus and dont unlock to full lite version according to the comments, so all the common scams are played out, download this, but turn off virus protection 1st, yeah right, give me a break, bloody key loggers and bot net stuff most likely.

So, are you using vcds lite free, or something else?

I have not tried vcds in any flavour no, i used scantool i think it was to read and clear codes.

And from you are saying a genuine lead with full vcds wont do much more on a lupo than the lead i already have?

Just tried VCDS lite and it doesnt work with my ELM327 lead. :(

The software i can use is EasyOBD2.

OBD2 is nothing like VAGCOM whatsoever. ELM327 is a great bit of kit, but it's a universal tool. VAGCOM is VAG specific. You can't blag one for the other, but both are ultra useful in their own right.

Yes, but, (yeah but, no but) there's vcds lite free and there's vcds lite paid for, which would be the "almost vcds full version".

I.e there's lite and lite+ which you have to pay for as indicated in your copy paste

I'm sceptical about the clones anyway, and you're not helping reduce it LOL.

All the hookey vcds lite downloads i've looked at today have virus and dont unlock to full lite version according to the comments, so all the common scams are played out, download this, but turn off virus protection 1st, yeah right, give me a break, bloody key loggers and bot net stuff most likely.

So, are you using vcds lite free, or something else?

I have not tried vcds in any flavour no, i used scantool i think it was to read and clear codes.

And from you are saying a genuine lead with full vcds wont do much more on a lupo than the lead i already have?

VCDS-Lite free is very useful. VCDS-Lite paid is ultra useful. Talk to me after you buy a cable ;).