diesel pump problems

weslangdon

I'm sceptical about the clones as it is anyway, and you're not helping reduce it LOL.

I am only sceptical about the 50 quid ones.

For a fiver, it's less than a pint of beer in London. Worth the risk ;)

Mine has been going for years!!

lol seriously your not even reading the replys. Take 5mins and read what these guys are telling you. So far as you being a mug it's your money spend it how you like. An electrian!? Lol vagcom can he run by a computer illiterate.

Also it's up to to be interested in diesels or not but understand this. If you don't know something your at the mercy or people who do. You will pay heavily for their information. Now skezza and sausage and helping you for free but your not really being very nice back. Your garage guy (not saying he is) but could shaft you because you lack of knowledge. But ultimately it comes back to it's your money and you should do as you please. But don't ask for help then disregard it. What's the point lol.

read my original post, I didn't ask for a diagnosis as I have one from people I trust, you are impugning both them and me so I don't appreciate your interjections

read my original post, I didn't ask for a diagnosis as I have one from people I trust, you are impugning both them and me so I don't appreciate your interjections

I recommend the xud pump

• 3 weeks later...

Very unlikely to be the pump, unless water has got in and it has corroded some internal parts of the pump. If you're getting black smoke, it means that your mixture is out and there's not enough air. Check EGR system, air filter, inlet duct that sort of thing. Blue smoke is oil burning, which has nothing to do with the diesel system- maybe only sucking in engine oil through the breather.

If the timing were out (by a lot), it probably wouldn't even start. It would knock badly if too advanced, and be as smooth as a petrol engine if too retarded (and slow).

If it were my car, I'd pull the inlet manifold plenum off, clean everything out and then try it. Also check for fuel blockage (filter or in tank gauze filter- which I think they fit to the Lupo.

The modern SDI pump can easily run 500k miles before wearing out. Don't forget that diesel fuel is also a lubricant (that has been well filtered upstream).

As I said earlier in the thread, I was sceptical. There seemed to be no evidence backing up his mechanics claims and from experience the pump on these is rock solid.

Still, I hope his problems were resolved in the end.

Very unlikely to be the pump, unless water has got in and it has corroded some internal parts of the pump. If you're getting black smoke, it means that your mixture is out and there's not enough air. Check EGR system, air filter, inlet duct that sort of thing. Blue smoke is oil burning, which has nothing to do with the diesel system- maybe only sucking in engine oil through the breather.

If the timing were out (by a lot), it probably wouldn't even start. It would knock badly if too advanced, and be as smooth as a petrol engine if too retarded (and slow).

If it were my car, I'd pull the inlet manifold plenum off, clean everything out and then try it. Also check for fuel blockage (filter or in tank gauze filter- which I think they fit to the Lupo.

The modern SDI pump can easily run 500k miles before wearing out. Don't forget that diesel fuel is also a lubricant (that has been well filtered upstream).

It does start but seems to run poorly, the timing has been set correctly, the engine is smelly as in smelly diesel and in that sense no different from a near new one [i drove a 2005 Lupo sdi last week] but it is a little smokey otherwise just gutless but they all are so I am really not sure what to do.

The car is an Arosa and it dates from 1998 the pump is not linked to the ECU by a plug in; the pump has yellow paint on bits of it suggesting its either a replacement or has had bits replaced in the past. The replacement pump I bought was said to be from a Skoda 1.9 sdi but it was incompatible for the same reasons it did have a lead to connect to the ECU. Gearbox is great though. Anyone want to take it off my hands :innocent:

want to take it off my hands :innocent:

would just love to but way too little time for me to play right now. Incidentally, the yellow paint is normal, and original.

If you stripped the car, you would probably get good money for the bits. SDI parts are hard to find.

Done a tutorial:

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/97552-how-to-diesel-purge-your-lupo-the-right-way/

Don't forget to redline it hard. If the smoke goes away, change your fuel filter as well to get rid of all the containments.

Diesel purge doesn't:

Fix the immobilizer???

Clean the DPF.

Make the car more intelligent???

Diesel purge does:

Clean the fuel lines leading into the engine.

Clean the injectors.

Clean the pre-chambers and combustion chambers.

Everything you've described sounds absolutely nothing like the injection pump, hence my attempts to give you alternative advice at the start.

Now, this is what I would do, in order:

Run a proper diesel purge, bypassing the fuel filter and using your own in-line filters, like my tutorial. Rev it hard, at least into the red zone two or three times for 5 to 10 seconds. These engines are designed to be hammered.

Then, while re-connecting your fuel lines, I'd replace the old the fuel filter, install a new one. Reseal the thermostatic valve using the proper O-Rings. (blue and black).

Start it, see how it runs. This will rule out a number of potential causes:

Muck in your fuel lines. Muck in your fuel filter. Blocked fuel filter. Clogged injectors. Dirty, carbony combustion chambers. Air leaks in your fuel lines.

I would then for good measure replace the air filter.

Edit: By the way, all Lupo's have immobilizers mate. Immo2 or Immo3.

Regardless.... they still have immos etc.

Do a diesel purge mate, trust me. It's a cheap way of doing all of what I've said above, and who knows, it might even fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

The detergents in modern fuel keep all the lines etc clean. Personally i don't like revving diesels hard, as it puts a huge amount of stress on them.

Years ago on a mk1 golf, i had an in-tank blockage caused by..... Water. It froze and blocked the strainer just before it goes into the fuel feed line. That took a while to figure out, as by the time i pulled everything out, it had thawed and no blockage- just a bit of water which Was easily drained at the water drain point. Next morning, same again. I knew it was temp related, but just couldn't crack it.

The detergents in modern fuel keep all the lines etc clean. Personally i don't like revving diesels hard, as it puts a huge amount of stress on them.

Years ago on a mk1 golf, i had an in-tank blockage caused by..... Water. It froze and blocked the strainer just before it goes into the fuel feed line. That took a while to figure out, as by the time i pulled everything out, it had thawed and no blockage- just a bit of water which Was easily drained at the water drain point. Next morning, same again. I knew it was temp related, but just couldn't crack it.

Don't agree with your point about revving diesels hard.