diesel pump problems

weslangdon

My 1.7 sdi has a diesel pump issue; its advance is faulty and its running rich and smokey. [though it's just passed its MOT] Is repair a viable option or does a second hand replacement make more sense, the car is 1998 but is milege at less than 120k is low for a diesel and apart from this issue has no other faults.

would this 1.9 sdi pump fit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-1-9-SDI-DIESEL-PUMP-BOSCH-0460404972-038130107B-/252047744490?hash=item3aaf375dea

Edited by weslangdon

Are you sure it's a diesel pump issue? Lupo's don't have in-tank fuel pumps, they use vacuum suction to get the fuel to the injection pump which is located at the front of the block. How do you know it is that which has failed?

Have you scanned? Running rich and smokey could be a sign of all sorts of things mate.

Dunno, but heres a new one that will give you part numbers for comparison.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genuine-OEM-VW-Polo-Lupo-1-7-1-7-SDI-Diesel-Fuel-Injection-Pump-/300546758691?hash=item45f9fb9823

As said, you seem very certain your pump timing isnt working properly, what makes you so sure? Changing a pump would be very far down the list of things to check off.

So how did he determine that the pump timing isnt advancing properly? Was that live data on vcds? Any fault codes come up?

if no codes and guess work, then i'd have a look at your injector seals 1st as they are much easier and cheaper to change.

Edited by Sausage

Thanks for all of the comments, this area is completely new to me I know virtually nothing about diesels so I do appreciate everything said. I'm relying on the technician but I will have a look at the injector seals too, the only warning lights up are for the glow plugs which I have ready to replace

I'm not saying your man is wrong, or that the injector seals is the problem, I'm saying a good rule of thumb is to make every effort to eliminate cheaper and easier options 1st before going straight for the most expensive possible fix unless you have very good reasons for doing so.

Google your symptoms on sdi engines and see what you find. if you see mention of pump timing then you can start to think it may be in that direction, if you see thread after thread about something else thats cheaper and easier to fix then I'd start there.

If your glow plug light is flashing then that means an engine fault and you need to get codes read. A cheap lead will do that for less than paying someone to do it.

Edited by Sausage

Yes mate, but I've told you, buy a cheap VAGCOM. Here, I'll do the hard work:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Cable-VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda-409-1-OBD2-OBDII-KKL-VAG-COM-Auto-Diagnostic-Tool-/191563446821?hash=item2c9a123a25

How much are you paying the garage per hour? (£20-£30? More?)

Whatever you're paying them, it's a **** load less for that VAGCOM cable above. Buy it, get it on your computer and scan it yourself, so you know what is failing and why. A glow plug issue has absolutely **** all to do with the injection pump as far as I'm concerned and can be a whole load of other things including relay 109 and failed glow plugs... of all things.

He's playing you for a mug as far as I'm concerned here. Drip feeding you information that he's pulled out of a chicken arse.

As I've said I know nothing about diesels and to be honest I'm not sure I will ever be sufficiently interested in them, but neither am I a mug as Skezza is implying. Refer back to my original q about a diesel injection pump. My garage who I have used for years and who don't charge me £20-30 an hour diagnose an injection pump fault, I actually believe them so my choices are get the pump rebuilt, fit a 2nd hand pump or scrap the car for parts. Rebuilding a pump seems to be too expensive so it's option 2 or 3. Thanks for the input everyone but I regard this as a post solved

What before you've got some fault codes to go on?

if your guy was taking live readings from the pump he already had the software and lead plugged in and running and i can guaranty he checked and knows the fault codes already. Unless he was just measuring fuel pressure with a mechanical device that is.

Otherwise he's talking **** I reckon. This is why buying lead to do your own code reading and clearing is one of the best things you can buy (assuming its not some cheap crappy non working thing like some of them are)

Here's a better lead (maybe) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Seat-Audi-Volkswagen-USB-CAN-BUS-DIAGNOSTIC-TOOL-/321852263471

But seriously the £5 lead Skezza mentioned would do FFS.

Edited by Sausage

As I've said I know nothing about diesels and to be honest I'm not sure I will ever be sufficiently interested in them, but neither am I a mug as Skezza is implying. Refer back to my original q about a diesel injection pump. My garage who I have used for years and who don't charge me £20-30 an hour diagnose an injection pump fault, I actually believe them so my choices are get the pump rebuilt, fit a 2nd hand pump or scrap the car for parts. Rebuilding a pump seems to be too expensive so it's option 2 or 3. Thanks for the input everyone but I regard this as a post solved

I am not suggesting you're a mug whatsoever mate, but these guys must be very good friends if you're trusting them with the information they've given you. They've given you the bare minimum of information, not enough for us to remotely know whether he's right or wrong. I hope, for your sake, that he's right because these things all add up if you start going at them without any method. You've got a few options really, I mean you could, all things considered, fit a Bosch injection pump for an XUD engine (the citroen peugeot one). They're very solid injection pumps and fit i believe. I think the 1.9 injection pump would fit yes. or just buy a matched part for your SDI. There's been a few on eBay lately.

What before you've got some fault codes to go on?

if your guy was taking live readings from the pump he already had the software and lead plugged in and running and i can guaranty he checked and knows the fault codes already. Unless he was just measuring fuel pressure with a mechanical device that is.

Otherwise he's talking **** I reckon. This is why buying lead to do your own code reading and clearing is one of the best things you can buy (assuming its not some cheap crappy non working thing like some of them are)

Here's a better lead (maybe) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Seat-Audi-Volkswagen-USB-CAN-BUS-DIAGNOSTIC-TOOL-/321852263471

But seriously the £5 lead Skezza mentioned would do FFS.

Not for a Lupo it isn't. That's a HEX-CAN lead designed for modern CANBUS enabled VAG cars. Plug that in your Lupo and I'm pretty confident that nothing will happen, unless you have an aftermarket radio in-which it'll short circuit and burn out and you'll never be able to use it again. The genuine ROSS-Tech ones have had problems with shorting out on the K-Line, so why you'd trust an aftermarket clone, I don't know.

You need a K-Line VAGCOM to work with the Lupo, as the Lupo is a pre-CANBUS and uses the old K-Line. The cheaper K-Line VAGCOM is the one you want. So yes, that £4.99 lead is the correct lead and will offer you all the functionality you need.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html

Noooooo, ... You sure?

Lupo is in the vehicle list on that lead and also the genuine vagcom usb hex+can list.

But that's not a genuine one, hence my skepticism.

don't be cheeky, I do appreciate the comments but as I've written I know nothing about diesels and the Electrician with the code reader is in the Canaries

lol seriously your not even reading the replys. Take 5mins and read what these guys are telling you. So far as you being a mug it's your money spend it how you like. An electrian!? Lol vagcom can he run by a computer illiterate.

Also it's up to to be interested in diesels or not but understand this. If you don't know something your at the mercy or people who do. You will pay heavily for their information. Now skezza and sausage and helping you for free but your not really being very nice back. Your garage guy (not saying he is) but could shaft you because you lack of knowledge. But ultimately it comes back to it's your money and you should do as you please. But don't ask for help then disregard it. What's the point lol.