My Raven Blue GTI

Skajme

• 4 months later...

Managed to get hold of some OEM heated leather seats! They're not perfect, but they're in great condition for the age and original seats beats the mk4 golf ones that came with the car! Have to look into getting a loom to wire them in now!

IMG_20200120_143027.thumb.jpg.dc695464fc2b263450211637f982f2b8.jpg

Not the best pic, sun was a nightmare today, but you get the idea :)

• 4 months later...

Small update, nothing of note to add really, working on tidying up a few engine bay bits at the moment, bit of rust on the power steering tank bracket the usual suspects! Also on the lookout for a coolant reservoir as mine is fairly grim on the inside. Anyone know what they cost from VW or have a clean one they don't want? Also bought another bootlid with a polo 6R handle on which is situated a bit lower down than the one I currently have on. Needs a bit of work before it gets put on though.

Few pics anyway :)

26thmay1.thumb.jpg.28732c27ca59a8e31271dbb5690e36c3.jpg

26may2.thumb.jpg.256555e6fc723a4ad650a679436d8752.jpg

26thmay3.thumb.jpg.28bcea33fed4bc1fa1778b5962e7d3df.jpg

My personal driver there on the last pic, She's ok. Can be a bit ruff with the steering...

‘evening:D

I don’t have a clean expansion tank or know how much they are from VW:blush:, but I believe these are the part numbers as mine is a bit minging brown (I’ll let it off though, it’s done just under 157000 miles), so will be either cleaning or replacing mine at some point if I get around to it....

Expansion tank: 6N0 121 407 C

Cap: 1H0 121 321 D

Any idea what the difference is between a normal Lupo ‘tank compared to a GTi one, the ‘tank number is different for some reason?:confused:

:)

Martin.

Drain the system. Flush it and then run with a couple of dishwasher tablets in. The whole of the inside of the cooling system comes up like new again. Good trick especially after a HG... Then rinse and rinse and rinse (easier with thermostat out), and refill with the good stuff and deionised water. Lovely again.

If you have any crusty stuff inside the header tank, remove it and fill with concentrated concrete cleaner acid and leave it to soak overnight. Then rinse well. All nice, white and translucent again. Refit using some silicone lube on all the rubber seals and joins.

No pink tide marks!

A. I endorse the dishwasher tablets although next Frank will start talking about connecting the washer bottle up to the intake to de coke your engine before you do the rings.

B. I now have a Lupo heated seat loom and super rare switches spare.

C. That tailgate is going too far, sell or burn it.

30 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Drain the system. Flush it and then run with a couple of dishwasher tablets in. The whole of the inside of the cooling system comes up like new again. Good trick especially after a HG... Then rinse and rinse and rinse (easier with thermostat out), and refill with the good stuff and deionised water. Lovely again.

If you have any crusty stuff inside the header tank, remove it and fill with concentrated concrete cleaner acid and leave it to soak overnight. Then rinse well. All nice, white and translucent again. Refit using some silicone lube on all the rubber seals and joins.

No pink tide marks!

Interesting, might have a go at that then. run it for how long with the tabs in?

Just having a quick google, I'm assuming its the hydrochloric acid type stuff for cleaning the tank?

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

A. I endorse the dishwasher tablets although next Frank will start talking about connecting the washer bottle up to the intake to de coke your engine before you do the rings.

B. I now have a Lupo heated seat loom and super rare switches spare.

C. That tailgate is going too far, sell or burn it.

how much you after for the loom and switches?

I can't agree on the tailgate though, sorry Rich! 😊

10 hours ago, Rich said:

:) Actually....

did you know that when running high compression (13:1), with water and methanol injection to slow down the burn rate/flame front, the emulsion you get in the induction mix actually cleans all the deposits off. So when you strip the engine it's all nice and shiny. Inlet valves that look brand new. Clean piston crowns.

Thinking about it- what is that stuff @Rich that vdub recommend to decoke the inlets on the FSI engines? You spray it into the inlet while idling... what a crap design.

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

:) Actually....

did you know that when running high compression (13:1), with water and methanol injection to slow down the burn rate/flame front, the emulsion you get in the induction mix actually cleans all the deposits off. So when you strip the engine it's all nice and shiny. Inlet valves that look brand new. Clean piston crowns.

Thinking about it- what is that stuff @Rich that vdub recommend to decoke the inlets on the FSI engines? You spray it into the inlet while idling... what a crap design.

Seafoam I assume? Rough idling is why I got rid of my old Octavia VRS TSI. Every TSI of that age will need a decoke at 80k. I believe they added a 5th injector in about 2010 to stop it.

The only thing that I do like about the vdub FSI direct gasoline injection engines is that you can play with the injection after first ignition. So ignite a lean mix, then as it's burning out, chuck another pulse of fuel in well after TDC to give loads of torque. But at high revs, you run out of injection time like on a diesel. And you have to have a special circuit to run the 60v injectors. And because there's no fuel wash on the back of the inlet valves, like you say they all coke up. All those sticky blow by gases congealing everywhere and never getting cleaned off... I dunno. Why did vdub do it. It didn't gain them any more power or efficiency. And emissions actually got worse.... And reduced reliability.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2020 at 12:33 AM, Rich said:

If you do the tailgate, you're not getting the loom/switches.

Very nice car. Spot on mods. Got a set of RC321's tucked away. Far and away the best wheels to fit to a Lupo GTI imo.

Pretty sure I made up that tailgate about 12 years ago. I shall take it back if you change it. Sentimental reasons you understand 😃

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 6:18 PM, Mr ColinG said:

Very nice car. Spot on mods. Got a set of RC321's tucked away. Far and away the best wheels to fit to a Lupo GTI imo.

Pretty sure I made up that tailgate about 12 years ago. I shall take it back if you change it. Sentimental reasons you understand 😃

I'll drop you a message about it

Few more pics from the last few weekends adventuring...

mamtor1.thumb.jpg.ea49df2bcbd59c275f40ca49cb14e05b.jpg

bpool2.thumb.jpg.b9fa36dea07d167272bddd5e5dfaceac.jpg

Freshened up the engine cover as it was looking a bit tatty. Also modified it so it would fit over the induction piping, much prefer the engine bay with the engine cover on. Still need to repaint the power steering reservoir bracket 🙄

enginecover1.thumb.jpg.b77650769ad99ad1bd7501b793b66fe7.jpg

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Just been MOT'd for another year, failed initially on a stuck front caliper which i replaced and weirdly the D bar on whiteline rear arb that goes around the rear beam was touching the fuel tank so there was a risk of it damaging it so that's had to come off! Any one else had that issue? Actually been having thoughts of getting rid recently, but I don't know if i could do it to myself!

Here's a recent picture anyway

5th-march-for-web.thumb.jpg.f185571f8837aee4e6dff3286f770ec5.jpg

Edited by Skajme
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Skajme said:

Just been MOT'd for another year, failed initially on a stuck front caliper which i replaced and weirdly the D bar on whiteline rear arb that goes around the rear beam was touching the fuel tank so there was a risk of it damaging it so that's had to come off! Any one else had that issue? Actually been having thoughts of getting rid recently, but I don't know if i could do it to myself!

ive just recently put a Whiteline Rear ARB on mine and I have no issues with it rubbing on the fuel tank. might seem a stupid question but is it on the rear beam right?

10 hours ago, Reedo said:

ive just recently put a Whiteline Rear ARB on mine and I have no issues with it rubbing on the fuel tank. might seem a stupid question but is it on the rear beam right?

It was mounted correctly yes, though this issue did make me double check, so not such a stupid question ha! Weirdly It's been on for almost two years without an issue so I'm not too sure what has happened! it's off for the time being anyway, Forgot how much difference it made now it's gone!

10 hours ago, Blue Loop said:

If you sell it you'll end up looking for another one.

That's the issue I want to avoid ha, Keen on an Up! GTI though!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2021 at 8:47 PM, Skajme said:

That's the issue I want to avoid ha, Keen on an Up! GTI though!

Call me old fashioned but I just don't get the same excitement from the Up! GTI, there isn't the feedback through the steering wheel like you get on the Lupo. Absolutely crap if you live somewhere hilly too being a 1L, I prefer my sister's 1.4L Fox in Brighton! It is good fun though - I've probably covered circa 1000 miles in my Mum's since she bought it in late '18 including a British holiday around Dorset last year.