Lupo Gti xenons to a Lupo Tdi?

FlipFlops

Hi guys I've just bought a Lupo Tdi off a mate and signed up to the forum and have been using the search bar for a few things. I've been looking for some info on fitting some Lupo Gti xenons to my Lupo Tdi. I've found a couple of threads on here but they are all pretty old and have limited info. I was just wondering if anyone has any up to date knowledge on the conversion?

Can it be done, what would be needed, would i need a complete Lupo Gti front end?

Cheers

Just the lights and the loom/plug attachments.

Ahh ok thanks, so its not a whole new front end, i thought maybe they were a different size. I will keep a lookout for the lights then.

Cheers :)

Obviously with the lights you need the ballast boxes and all that lark as well. Make sure they're fully complete when you buy them.

It will pass mot, technically it shouldn't but you'd be hard pushed to find a tester that anal.

The rules say MAY, not MUST.

I thought that the GTI slam panel was needed as the headlights are bigger and don't fit. I'm sure if you looked through Mitch's build thread (if its still on here!) he mentioned that they aren't a straight swap

Heartagram posted this Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:26 PM

"Yeah the headlights are hard work and quite expensive. I've got a few bits cheap though so its kept the cost of mine down, which is cool. Gotta piss about with the wiring and stuff to. Plus they are different dimensions so have to modify bits to make them fit. Definitely not just a plug in and go job!"

From this post:

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/30770-lupo-sport-blog-last-update-26112012/page-37

Edited by lupogtiboy

The rules say MAY, not MUST.

Are you sure? Uk cars that didn't come with Xenons need washers and the self levelling working to be legal as they didn't come with. But if your car is a jdm that came without all that stuff but came with Xenons that's ok. But most people will still pass.

Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self- levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

According to the department of transport.

Some of the newer VW's have xenons but no washers as the output of the bulb is lower than 35w. Its a very grey area, all really depends on how friendly your MOT tester is...

I'm pretty sure Dblock is right though.....

Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self- levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

According to the department of transport.

The last time I checked, the rules specifically say MAY come fitted with washers and head lamp levellers, but if they do come fitted they MUST work. If they don't, it was at the discretion of the MOT tester.

I was always under the impression that you needed some form of headlight washer and also the levelling function to make them fully legal.

I'm very interested in getting the Gti xenon's fitted though. If its a straight swap like some of you are saying then that is a real bonus but if there's a little work required i don't mind doing that either. Although the car's already been lowered with a set of wheels i'm going to treat this as a little project and do some more changes. I'm just amazed on how sweet the MPG is, if i can get 50mpg on a run i will be over the moon :D

I pick the car up Friday so will start a build thread next week.

• Like 1

You will be fine. Just set them up so they aren't dazzling anyone and you wont have any trouble.

Plus 50mpg? Pff I was getting 56mpg and thats not sticking around on country roads either lol. You need to do the mods to the tdi to get the mpgs high. My brothers will do 60mpg+ Most I had was 65mpg at 70mph constant pretty much.

• Like 1

You will be fine. Just set them up so they aren't dazzling anyone and you wont have any trouble.

Plus 50mpg? Pff I was getting 56mpg and thats not sticking around on country roads either lol. You need to do the mods to the tdi to get the mpgs high. My brothers will do 60mpg+ Most I had was 65mpg at 70mph constant pretty much.

Those figures are brilliant! 70mph is a nice cruising speed so to get 65 mpg would be so good! When you say mods to the tdi to get the best mpg, what mods are you talking about?

I'm on the lookout for the gti lights, none about at the moment, i think this might take a while lol.

Those are very good figures. I'm currently getting 69MPG every week consistently in my SDI, but I'm not hypermiling as ****tish as I used to.

Those are very good figures. I'm currently getting 69MPG every week consistently in my SDI, but I'm not hypermiling as ****tish as I used to.

69mpg is great. The 5th gear mod and cruise control help my mpg a lot. I know Cc doesn't help you save fuel but it does for me so I don't go over a certain speed or below for that matter.

The 5th gear mod is great for fuel. The best for fuel actually. Plus on country roads it's all about being smooth so you don't lose your speed too much.

Edited by Dblock
  • Like 1

69mpg is great. The 5th gear mod and cruise control help my mpg a lot. I know Cc doesn't help you save fuel but it does for me so I don't go over a certain speed or below for that matter.

The 5th gear mod is great for fuel. The best for fuel actually. Plus on country roads it's all about being smooth so you don't lose your speed too much.

The only thing I wish I could get on my SDI is CC. I would fit it in a heartbeat. However I've tried to activate it software side via VAGCOM. Seems a no-go. No point in wiring it in to find out the software isn't there.

I've bought it purely as a cheap mile muncher. I'm going to do the 5th gear mod and fit cruise, these would really help me. I live in Cornwall and drive back to Watford every 2 weeks, the round trip is over 550 miles so multiply that by 2 each month. I sit on the M4, M5 and M25. I've worked it out that it should cost me about £80 to do the 1100 miles in the Lupo compared to the £350 odd i usually spend.

If a i can do a few little upgraded to make the driving a little easier i'm well up for that :)

The only thing I wish I could get on my SDI is CC. I would fit it in a heartbeat. However I've tried to activate it software side via VAGCOM. Seems a no-go. No point in wiring it in to find out the software isn't there.

Cruise is pretty handy if your on a long drive, it just takes all the effort out of your right foot. I have to stop sometimes and get out the car just to move my foot when on a long drive. Its lovely having cruise fitted.

Cruise is pretty handy if your on a long drive, it just takes all the effort out of your right foot. I have to stop sometimes and get out the car just to move my foot when on a long drive. Its lovely having cruise fitted.

I've never had it and I really thought after seeing people fit it to their 1.9 SDI Polo, that it'd be (from a software perspective) possible on the SDI 1.7. Nope, the ECU doesn't support it. I did speak to a company about having one of these aftermarket cruise control systems fitted but they wanted way too much and needed the car for about 3 days. Sack that **** off.

As far as a mod on the TDI goes? It's a bargain. You don't need the stalk for one, you could easily fit it to a couple of button switches on your dash. On a bad day, it'd take you a couple of hours to fit and would make a huge difference to the car.