Taking out silencers

JackPalmer27

Ahh, yes, but you're talking about a guy who's pipe was actually damaged. My point is, fit an aftermarket big bore exhaust to something like an Evo 8 and I just don't see you getting huge benefits. These cars are highly tuned from the manufacturer, why would they skimp out on something like an exhaust?

It's not a matter of skimping out, it's a matter of keeping noise to a minimum, making the driving experience appeal to the masses and ultimately adhering to very stringent emissions outputs.

If you take a something like an Evo FQ360, remove the cat, fit a 3" downpipe straight through into a large bore backbox you will undoubtedly gain a decent amount of bhp and torque. It's safe to say that you would see an extra 10bhp peak and if you coupled this with a remap you would see more of a benefit.

Although this extra bhp may come at the expense of the power band being shifted higher up in the rev range, which a lot of people wouldn't necessarily like (just like most people don't like loud cars which fail MOT's due to decats).

Skezza, have you had experience in engine tuning/optimising? Your comments have me believing otherwise.

It is well documented that manufacturers don't go for the ultimate power when manufacturing engines. Badger5 for example spent months developing a turbo inlet pipe for K04'd 1.8t's and gained a huge amount of bhp and torque over the OEM item. Bill also sells this TIP with a huge cone filter as this helps to produce more power over the standard airbox.

It's all about reducing the bottleneck at the end of the day.

It's not a matter of skimping out, it's a matter of keeping noise to a minimum, making the driving experience appeal to the masses and ultimately adhering to very stringent emissions outputs.

If you take a something like an Evo FQ360, remove the cat, fit a 3" downpipe straight through into a large bore backbox you will undoubtedly gain a decent amount of bhp and torque. It's safe to say that you would see an extra 10bhp peak and if you coupled this with a remap you would see more of a benefit.

Although this extra bhp may come at the expense of the power band being shifted higher up in the rev range, which a lot of people wouldn't necessarily like (just like most people don't like loud cars which fail MOT's due to decats).

Skezza, have you had experience in engine tuning/optimising? Your comments have me believing otherwise.

It is well documented that manufacturers don't go for the ultimate power when manufacturing engines. Badger5 for example spent months developing a turbo inlet pipe for K04'd 1.8t's and gained a huge amount of bhp and torque over the OEM item. Bill also sells this TIP with a huge cone filter as this helps to produce more power over the standard airbox.

It's all about reducing the bottleneck at the end of the day.

Some yes.

Your points mostly apply to turbo cars imo. I doubt you'd see a noticeable gain on a 2.0 N/A vehicle.

Some yes.

Your points mostly apply to turbo cars imo. I doubt you'd see a noticeable gain on a 2.0 N/A vehicle.

You never seen a k20 or an F20C :tongueout:

Your right but there is always exceptions to the rule. Most OEM's as said are trying to keep everyone happy but most cars can be improved upon quite easily.

Either way these tdi's aren't tuned like petrol turbos are.

Yes.

You can either take off the backbox and put in a straight exhaust pipe. Will cost you about £8 if you do it yourself. I like this option.

Or, you take the backbox apart, remove the baffles. Weld back together. Easy.

If i did take this option, and got just a straight pipe, would it be a permanent option e.g. would i have to weld or is there an easier way of doing it?

If i did take this option, and got just a straight pipe, would it be a permanent option e.g. would i have to weld or is there an easier way of doing it?

Depends what you consider easy. If you want the least permanent option, I would remove the back box then use a piece of extension pipe with some universal exhaust clamps. I forget the diameter of the Lupo but I dunno it'll be something like 40mm to 45mm somewhere around there. Buy a couple, they're pennies from Euro Car Parts, then fit the straight pipe, clamp it and then put a line of gun gum or silicone sealant around the join.

You never seen a k20 or an F20C :tongueout:

Your right but there is always exceptions to the rule. Most OEM's as said are trying to keep everyone happy but most cars can be improved upon quite easily.

Either way these tdi's aren't tuned like petrol turbos are.

LOL, well yes, but picking something like an S2000 as your tuning car isn't the same as picking your 2.0 litre VW Cabriolet is it?

Depends what you consider easy. If you want the least permanent option, I would remove the back box then use a piece of extension pipe with some universal exhaust clamps. I forget the diameter of the Lupo but I dunno it'll be something like 40mm to 45mm somewhere around there. Buy a couple, they're pennies from Euro Car Parts, then fit the straight pipe, clamp it and then put a line of gun gum or silicone sealant around the join.

LOL, well yes, but picking something like an S2000 as your tuning car isn't the same as picking your 2.0 litre VW Cabriolet is it?

It's all the same really. I know what your saying but if you can get air in and out faster and make a bigger bang with more fuel it's all the same. Even simple stuff like egrs on tdi's will cripple them. Envision, noise, cost and legislation and laws stop cars being what they should be like really.

Take the back box off and put a straight pipe in. Keep the midbox. This way sounds awesome, do it the other way and you'll sound like a corsa/wasp