High milage tdi

wehey

I have just seen a Arosa tdi for sale very close to where I live.

It has 142k on the clock but is very reasonably priced.

The owner has been serving it himself and has done a lot to it over the past few years.

It would be my intention to remap it.

Is it worth a punt with the high mileage as I'm sure a well maintained tdi will be good for a few more miles?

you should always haggle is it this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171879143035?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'd argue that its going to need a new exhaust, a repair won't last, I'd make a low offer and see how the seller responds, they may offer a compromise figure, but if it's near go and see it for yourself, any decent seller won't have an issue with this, be slow an methodical with your inspection. I bought mine off e-bay for £800 and spent nearly £400 on an MOT. Front suspension problems, needed new discs had a leaking brake cylinder, a broken rear spring a leaky rear damper lots of things I'd missed on initial inspection, what seemed a bargain wasn't as good as it originally seemed but its still a great car and miles better than a 1.4 16v Sport.

• Like 1

you should always haggle is it this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171879143035?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'd argue that its going to need a new exhaust, a repair won't last, I'd make a low offer and see how the seller responds, they may offer a compromise figure, but if it's near go and see it for yourself, any decent seller won't have an issue with this, be slow an methodical with your inspection. I bought mine off e-bay for £800 and spent nearly £400 on an MOT. Front suspension problems, needed new discs had a leaking brake cylinder, a broken rear spring a leaky rear damper lots of things I'd missed on initial inspection, what seemed a bargain wasn't as good as it originally seemed but its still a great car and miles better than a 1.4 16v Sport.

Agreed, you should always haggle. There's a lot of people out there hell bent on cashing in on the fact "it's a Lupo", especially with TDI's, SDI's and GTi's.

The mileage is high, but I wouldn't let that necessarily put you off. Treat every car on its own merits. The highest mileage TDI I went to look at had 168k miles and the engine pulled good, but there were clearly some suspension issues which were nagging me.

High mileage cars can sometimes work in your favour, because susceptible or friday afternoon parts will have probably failed and been replaced and it's unlikely to have sat on a drive for 3 years without being driven, which in some cases can be worse than putting miles on it.

I disagree about the exhaust repair. Again, judge on its own merit. If he's repaired it by cutting out the damaged pipe and welding in a new one, that's a perfectly good long lasting repair. You need to ask why the exhaust needed repairing and what was done. Now, this might be where the seller shows his honesty. If the exhaust was repaired with some gun gum, you've probably got a point but they should explain that to you. However if the flex pipe was worn for example, and they simply installed a new flex pipe by welding it in, I see absolutely no issues with that as a repair.

From the photos I noticed a few things:

- It's on the original battery, almost certainly. Those VARTA batteries are excellent but they're also expensive to replace which is why most people replace them with an aftermarket one when they do eventually go. You might want to ask how the battery is doing and whether it's still holding up in the winter.

- There's a hell of a lot of bolster wear, all things considered. My Lupo has 148k miles on and counting, and the bolster wear is nowhere near as much as that. Now there might be a perfectly innocent reason for it, but I can only assume the guy is sliding into it his seat or something when getting into his car and rubbing with a belt maybe? Very strange to see such badly worn bolsters. If you do buy it, I'd get them seats out straight away and get a nice set of Lupo S seats in there.

- There's an aftermarket switch on the panel and a random wire in the passenger footwell. The two are probably related. You could do with asking what that wire was there for. It's probably nothing but again, ask.

Ask what mileage the cambelt was done on. He says it's been done in the last 2 years, which means it's already 2 years into it's 5 (4 in some peoples opinion) year lifespan. Also, such a high mileage car means it might have already covered a good 10-20k miles.

It's not worth £1400, not in my opinion. He's asking for top money considering the work it needs doing.

Thanks for the responses :)

It's actually a lady owner. I have asked about the cam belt and apparently she brought the car on 128k, two years ago and the belt has been done sometime between now and then.

I will let the auction run and see if it sells or not. If it doesn't sell I will put in a low offer and see what happens.

I'm not in any hurry and now I have had time to think it over I would prefer to hang out for a lower miler and spend upto 2k, but on the other hand I'm a sucker for a bargain.

I wouldn't say it's over priced personally but it's not a steal either. Tdi's are getting rare now. I think they are getting gti rare espicially one that's not been slammed and notched or the ones with £30 tax. The best thing is with a tdi buy a nice one drive it and put 100000 miles on it and you won't lose much money. Engines are solid and if they are looked after they go forever. Seats etc can be changed for very cheap.

??

I'm watching and waiting!

I think she is keen to get it sold.

If it is still there when the auction ends I think I will contact her with a silly offer

Good luck. £1000 is about right imo. Get a set of nice red S seats in there to smarten it up mate :)

She has excepted my offer and I'm going to take a look tomorrow.

Hopefully I will be a member of the tdi gang by this time tomorrow

Edited by wehey
  • Like 1

Right folks.....I am now a member of the tdi gang.

Went round for a viewing this evening, did all the usual checks, took it out for a drive and couldn't resist.

It drives beautifully and I can't believe it's only 75hp as it flys. My old Micra K11 was 75hp and the tdi would leave it for dead. I'm kind of wondering if it's already been mapped lol.

• Like 2

Right folks.....I am now a member of the tdi gang.

Went round for a viewing this evening, did all the usual checks, took it out for a drive and couldn't resist.

It drives beautifully and I can't believe it's only 75hp as it flys. My old Micra K11 was 75hp and the tdi would leave it for dead. I'm kind of wondering if it's already been mapped lol.

If it's an old woman, probably not. I imagine though you're enjoying the turbo which the micra didn't have.

Personally, I'd get it mapped. It's an old car and it'll have lost some BHP anyway. Get it mapped, enjoy some of the rediscovered power :D

Can i pick your brains a little. Sorry to jump on this thread but it is tdi related and may help you out too :)

How strong are these tdi engines for mapping? All my knowledge is in Mk4 Golfs so this is all new to me. The Tdi that i have just bought has 199k on the clock. Ive bought it off a friend and know the car very weel and its not a shed by any means. Would an engine with 200k on the clock be ok if its serviced well?

I don't need the car for speed but if the overall driveablity was improved i would go for a map. I dont want to loose any mpg.

Can i pick your brains a little. Sorry to jump on this thread but it is tdi related and may help you out too :)

How strong are these tdi engines for mapping? All my knowledge is in Mk4 Golfs so this is all new to me. The Tdi that i have just bought has 199k on the clock. Ive bought it off a friend and know the car very weel and its not a shed by any means. Would an engine with 200k on the clock be ok if its serviced well?

I don't need the car for speed but if the overall driveablity was improved i would go for a map. I dont want to loose any mpg.

Yes. If serviced well, your car could easily handle a 100BHP map. I wouldn't try and push anymore. Some have tried 110BHP I believe, but you're going to reduce the life of your engine and turbo imo.

Yes. If serviced well, your car could easily handle a 100BHP map. I wouldn't try and push anymore. Some have tried 110BHP I believe, but you're going to reduce the life of your engine and turbo imo.

An extra 10bhp won't reduce the life of either. So long as you service your car and treat it well. Remember it's a Diesel engine designed for turbo it's about as strong as you get. For what I remember if you modded with a few different things turbo, injectors and a few other things engine things like cams and head bolts etc you could be running 160-170bhp. Not worth it really as the amount of money needed would be mad and it would chew through gearboxes but if it can run that happily 110bhp is nothing.

An extra 10bhp won't reduce the life of either. So long as you service your car and treat it well. Remember it's a Diesel engine designed for turbo it's about as strong as you get. For what I remember if you modded with a few different things turbo, injectors and a few other things engine things like cams and head bolts etc you could be running 160-170bhp. Not worth it really as the amount of money needed would be mad and it would chew through gearboxes but if it can run that happily 110bhp is nothing.

Maybe so, but it all adds to wear. I think 100BHP would be fine for most people ;)

I'm not after gaining loads of bhp but a map of some sort would be nice :) and the 5th gear mod would be good too :)

Who do good maps for them? I've always gone custom but tbh a decent map would do. What are the like of Revo like on the lupo's?

I've seen some of Dervtechs stuff on the tdi side and they look good.

If it's an old woman, probably not. I imagine though you're enjoying the turbo which the micra didn't have.

Personally, I'd get it mapped. It's an old car and it'll have lost some BHP anyway. Get it mapped, enjoy some of the rediscovered power :D

That was always part of the master plan

Are there any things worth doing before going for a remap?

I'm used to working on petrol engines and a quick look under the tdi bonnet has left me a bit baffled. It took me 15 mins to figure out where the air filter was lol.

Having read a few posts on here, a diesel purge seems like a good idea.

Other thoughts are a good air filter, fuel filter, egr delete.

Any other suggestions?