lupo gti 5 and 5 speed gearboxes

Sullading

• 11 months later...

Right, think I've worked this out, please correct me if I'm wrong (more than likely!)

5 Speed is as follows:

1st - 38 teeth on driven gear, 11 on drive gear, ratio 3.45

2nd - 44 teeth on driven gear, 21 on drive gear, ratio 2.09

3rd - 43 teeth on driven gear, 30 on drive gear, ratio 1.43

4th - 41 teeth on driven gear, 38 on drive gear, ratio 1.07

5th - 41 teeth on driven gear, 46 on drive gear, ratio 0.89

Final drive is 65/18, ratio 3.61

6 Speed is as follows:

1st - 38 teeth on driven gear, 12 on drive gear, ratio 3.16

2nd - 43 teeth on driven gear, 22 on drive gear, ratio 1.95

3rd - 43 teeth on driven gear, 31 on drive gear, ratio 1.38

4th - 42 teeth on driven gear, 37 on drive gear, ratio 1.13

5th - 42 teeth on driven gear, 45 on drive gear, ratio 0.933

6th - 38 teeth on driven gear, 49 on drive gear, ratio 0.776

Final drive is 67/16, ratio is 4.188

FYI what I am trying to gather together is the supposed faster times of the 6spd box that it registers over the 5spd box in the mid range. From what I can see is that in short the two boxes are not comparable ie 3rd to 3rd. What needs to be compared is the times of for example the 3rd gear of the 5er to the 4th of the 6 box. This make sense?

the lupo CUP CAR that raced in the LUPO CUP Championship has the 6 gearbox. also, i have a lupo prepared for track, running in a local LUPO CUP championship, along with cars which raced in the originals series, and all of them have 6 gears. 

photo-29.jpg.47b8a3d66eb6767d9aed1720e91d513e.jpg

Edited by WRC

I guess this speed comparison between the two proves my point. For example the 5spd box is faster/ same as the 6er when taking into account 3 vs 4 4 vs 5 etc. I know it sounds pedantic just trying to shed another angle on the much debated subject.  So from what I see the 5er is just as quick and is cheaper to buy - win win!

Edited by LupinGTI

perhaps i see other figures, but the 6 gears is faster in every gear..also, comparing the 0-60 time... to prove my point, take into account what i said earlier about LUPO GTI CUP car..the VWracing department had chosen the 6gears due to some reason..

I think the only reason the 5 speed is .1 second quicker to 60 is because you have to change into 3rd on the 6 speed.

If you were to have the rev limiters removed the the cars would be a bit quicker in those gears too. There's a fair bit of usable power to be had after the first limiter cuts in.

Note: why I am asking these seemingly rehashed questions is due to the fact that despite owning a 6er from 2002 my mate has a 5er from 01 (same spec in every other way) and his is always faster - even when we swap cars. Its faster off the lights and faster to 100mph. Both cars have pretty much the same mileage 75ks. So why does everyone harp on about the 6 being SOOOO much better when ultimately there is nothing in it and from what I have experienced the 6 is actually a bit slower? Or is it simply that cool factor of the 6?

Having an extra gear to select when driving on the motorway is always a nice thing to have. If it was me i would be buying a 6 speed one, just for that reason, it has 6 gears you can use. Get your's and your mates on a rolling road and see who's is making the most power. It might not all be down to the gears if he is noticeably quicker than you?

i had some friends who tested both 5 and 6 gears lupo, and the 6 was faster. in all positions. thats why they decided to start the lupo championship with the 6 gears ones. also, the VWRacing FIA homologation sheets shows that in the Lupo Cup from Germany, it was used the 6 gears Lupo... 

also, the information from the sheets i posted sustain these tests...